Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03' Coupe Hesitation On Acceleration

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-16-2003, 09:16 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C230 Kompressor Coupe
Question 03' Coupe Hesitation On Acceleration

It's happened a couple of times but yesterday was really bad.

After slowing down for a light and nearly coming to a complete stop I hit the accelerator when the light turned green and nothing-the car wouldnt move. After a second or so it kicked in and took off.

I've also had it hesitate before like it was searching for the right gear or something.

Now I see on the C-Class (W203) Forum there are other people with the same problems.

Has anyone had there car in service for this problem and if so what was done?

MBTECH- any thoughts?

Thanks.
Old 04-16-2003, 10:38 PM

'03 C230K
we had a car in with this problem about six months ago, they gave it to me to drive overnight but now i cant remember what fixed it. I'll find out at work and let you know, but your dealer should be able to fix it too.

2003 C230K magma C5, C7, 6 spd.
Old 04-17-2003, 07:39 AM
Almost a Member!

That would be great if you could let me know what was done to repair the condition.

I've read several posts from people with a similar problem and when they took their car for service nothing was done. Most said the condition could not be duplicated which I can understand because it is so intermittant. But after having said that I would hope that MB is aware of the situation by now and has a repair regardless of the condition being duplicated.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-17-2003, 01:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
05 CLK 500 cab
Does this thread describe your problem? https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...light=throttle
Old 04-17-2003, 02:34 PM
Almost a Member!

It sounds like the same problem but the service bulletin in that post only applies to 6 and 8 cylinder engine as per MBTECH.
Old 04-17-2003, 02:39 PM

2002 c230k
My '02 c230k automatic with 6000 mi was in for that problem. Kept and driven, but hesitation not duplicated for tech.

They cleaned the fuel injectors and advised when pumping gas to hold the pump handle, not to fill it automatically. Said there could be overflow before it shut off. I thought this was far-fetched.

After having it back it for everal days it hesitated 3 times within an hour on a drive, but since has not.

I have always used premium, of course, but only one brand recently - so now have changed gasoline brands to see if that makes a difference.

Also keeping a precise log of driving conditions when hesitation occurs but have yet to see any pattern.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:07 AM

'03 C230K
The car we had in I put 66 miles on it before i could duplicate the problem , but on the one we fixed it was the brake pessure sensor that was faulty. It was throwing off the ESP and killing throttle for no reason at any given time. Also the tech line told us to replace the stop lamp switch first, so it could be one of them 2 that your dealer needs to adress.

2003 c230k magma, c5, c7, 6 spd.
Old 04-18-2003, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
Originally posted by tmc1949

They cleaned the fuel injectors and advised when pumping gas to hold the pump handle, not to fill it automatically. Said there could be overflow before it shut off. I thought this was far-fetched.
Although this is NOT your problem, overfilling can cause the same symptoms. However, they do not go away so easily. It happened to me 2x in my '99 E55. The first time I over-filled the tank, it took about 10 minutes and a few miles to clear up. The second time, it cost me a trip to the dealer for a new fuel tank and a host of emission control parts via a flatbed tow truck!

The moral of the story is, don't try to sqeeze that extra half gallon in the tank!