Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - Replaced Keyless Go Shift Knob

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 s600
Help - Replaced Keyless Go Shift Knob

I replaced my shift knob (2004 s600) and the keyless go doesn't work (for starting engine). Any ideas how I sychronize the new knob somehow?

In lieu of that, do you know how I can remove the keyless go switch in the knob and put it in the new knob? (I changed knob because of worn out leather not functionality)
Old 09-05-2010, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 s600
How to replace keyless go switch

Here's how to do it. There's a post on either this or Benz world that shows photos but the guy never tells you how to get the switch out - still the photos help you visualize it.

Take the knob apart - take off the chrome plastic thing that locks the knob to the shifter. You just turn it and work it off. Then there is a black plastic ring-sleeve where the chrome thing twists and locks onto. Take 4 paper clips and insert them around the inside edge of the ring-sleeve. This keeps the retainer "hooks" set in so you can now work the center part of the knob from the outer part of the knob. You'll really have to twist and pull and even insert a small screwdriver between the two parts of the knob (if leather and wood knob, this is the boundary between the wood and leather. Once the knob is separated into two pieces, turn the top piece over and you'll see two torx driver screws - really small. If you don't have a torx driver that small, just use a philips screw driver. Once the screws are out, look for 4 small holes (on the same surface as the screws. Insert a philips screwdriver thru the holes to push the stop-start switch out of the top of the knob.