Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help with 1992 MB SL500 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 12:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1995 & 1996 Lincoln Mark VIII LSC
Please help with 1992 MB SL500 AMG

Hello guys. Just joined your forums. Im a visitor from Lincolns of Distinction of the Mark VIII crowd. Im originally a GM musclecar gearhead of all the F bodies, but lately ive been modding the hell out of the Lincoln Mark VIII platform.
Im not sure this is in the right section and was overwhelmed at all the different models and configurations of the MB cars. Heck we only had 1st gen 93-96 and 2nd gen 97-98 only in the lineup for the Lincoln Mark VIIIs. Fully loaded was the only option other than choosing interior/exterior color combos.

I have a friend that enlisted me in helping him restore his 1992 MB SL500 AMG or 500SL however the proper way to write it is. It truly is a beautiful car all jet black, low, sleek, screams class and is a 2 seater with hardtop and convertible with the pop up rear rollbar. Very sweet sporty car, (dont tell my Lincoln i said so.)

He got it pretty cheap and im going through and ridding it of all the electrical gremlins. He's already got the entire interior kit scoped out for new leather ect and plastic trim pieces unless we can do better here off this site for that ;-)
Well weve already gone though the front suspension arms and joints ect, and front rotors and brakes, bearings ect.
Now onto the electrical gremlins and problematic convertible solenoids that dont work.

Problem with car is some moron had a jimmy rigged stereo system in it with cut and spliced wires everywhere they probably shouldnt be. Complete ametuer looking at the connections after removing most of it.
Im going though it backwards from the battery compartment in the trunk and putting back to stock all wiring and removing all the jimmy rigged fake stereo amp junk that wasnt taken out of the car when sold. Im assuming thats why half of the dash lights are inop at the time and some controll functions on the dash dont work. The idiot probably connected the amp wires to an ignition hot with twist ties. lol I'll know more when i pull the panel and start investigating with the DVM.

What i need is a service manual electrical schematic for it, (factory exterior body and interior components) or if somone that has a secret password to the ALLDATA site that can copy and paste them to me or my email addy, it truly would be great. If i owned the car of course id be popping for the technicians/dealer $98.00 service manual in paperback like i got on my cars, but i don't, and im just the worker at the bottom of the tree. haha

Anyways, great site and my God theres jillions of models to choose from for the MB lover. I didnt know where to start to get this into the proper thread to ask for help. Thanks guys.
Jeff
Old 09-06-2010, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 500SL
Hi,

On this site, there's a sub-forum "MB SLR and SL's". go to R129 and post the question there.

For electrical wiring data, another option would be the MB R129 DVD workshop manual, it's about US$80, well worth the price, more so that the car you're trying to repair is a 500SL AMG.