Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 GLK Windnoise - Help???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 GLK350, 2010 ML350, 2008 C63 AMG
2011 GLK Windnoise - Help???

Has anyone experience a slight hissing noise when you drive over 60mph? i just got a 2011 GLK and there is a slight hissing noise like the wind is hitting a certain part of the windshield or it might be the wind going around the side mirrors since they are smaller. i've driven the 2010 GLK as a loaner from MB and never heard this.

Service thinks it might be something to do with the air conditioning box that is underneath the hood since that is sorta close to the windshield. i have no idea but the car has been at the dealer more than at my house. Someone suggested that it could be a stuck air damper. Air dampers are internal air duct *rudders* in a way... they direct air to different parts of the car via small air pipes (ducts) throughout the dash.... The air enters the external vents at the base of the windshield, and these dampers are electronically controlled to redirect the air (after it has been conditioned by cold or hot) to the places you wish. If one or more of these duct dampers sticks open a little... it can cause a whistle as you drive, as air is forced through the gap...

The hissing noise or wind whining noise only occurs over 50mph, sounds like it comes from the top of the windshield or right passenger a-pillar. service was able to get rid of the noise by hitting the recirculation button for the A/C yesterday but when they drove the car today and hit the recirculation button, the noise remained. I think it has something to do with an incorrect seal or something like that in the windshield or panoramic sunroof.

ANYBODY WITH ANY SUGGESTIONS OR HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATE. CAR IS ONLY 2 WEEKS OLD.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Have you resolved this yet?

Other threads have suggested the air duct dampeners are not closing completely, causing a noise at speed when air is being forced into the system.
Old 09-23-2010, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 GL450 P2, Appearance Pkg, Leather. 2012 C250, P1, Sport, AMG Wheels, Panorama Sunroof.
Might be your roof rack. I had a similar sound and I removed the crossbars. No more noise.
Old 09-24-2010, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Interesting.

Another poster had a loose windshield seal, so I guess there is no one cause.