Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 ML 320 CDi oil level anomally

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 ML 320 CDI
08 ML 320 CDi oil level anomally

Hi,

Just bought a 2008 Ml 320 Cdi. Checked the oil level and it was on the lowest point, meaning that according to the handbook it was down 2 litres.

I decided the best thing was to replace the oil and filter, so I vacummed the old oil out, changed the filter and refilled with 8.5 litres of new oil.

And guess what - the reading on the dipstick was as before. So I added in another litre and it just reads under the full mark. So now it have around 9.5 litres in the sump - and the owner's manual says don't overfill !!.

I thought I'd check how much of the old oil was removed, it came to 8.5 litres.

What's going on here. Is the dipstick not calibrated properly? Have I missed something or done something wrong - will the extra litre in the sump ruin the engine and should I suck it out?

Looking forward to your advice. Nick
Old 10-22-2010, 01:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
I'd check that the car has the correct dipstick.

Too much oil can cause a problem in some cars. If the crankshaft hits the oil it will froth it up which can cause lubrication failure.