Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MBTech: downloading recent engine telemetrics ?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2003, 11:04 PM

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts
'03 S55 (79K miles)
Lightbulb MBTech: downloading recent engine telemetrics ?

MB Tech: Do you (or other readers) happen to know:

Do the MY'03 vehicles (E or S) store telemetrics history that can be retrieved by a vehicle owner or a MBTechnician?

For how far back (in time, or miles, or engine starts) can the data be stored?

Is it possible for a tech to erase the telemetrics history after they "prepped" my vehicle?

I would like to know everything my new vehicle experienced between leaving the factory and the dealer's Sold Line.

I want to know if somebody red-lined my new engine, and at what speed and odometer setting.

What would I tell my service adviser to do for me if I wanted the data?

Thanks in advance.

--GrepAwk
Old 04-28-2003, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no offense, but i think your being a little ****. yes it stores a certain amount of data, engine rpm, throttle positions, max speed, etc.etc.etc. some info such as this can be retrieved by using a simple scanner tool.
Old 04-28-2003, 12:48 AM

'03 S55 (79K miles)
What do you know about it?

NOV0798:

Do you work for MB? And do you typically run these scans?

I'm familiar with DRB Scanners. They usually only give you DTC's logged when problems occur. The stored codes are vendor dependent. So maybe MB logs the number of times the rev limiter kicked in since the last 50 starts?

But what I'm really after is more about retrieving driving patterns over a short period of time. A 2Meg Flash E^2 could capture around 30 minutes worth of driving.

Do 2003 MY vehicles have this kind of storage in the OBD computer?

I don't take offense. (I can afford to be ****.) I expect somebody on this forum is an expert and can tell me what I want to know.

--GrepAwk
Old 04-28-2003, 04:29 PM

Originally posted by nov0798
...yes it stores a certain amount of data, engine rpm, throttle positions, max speed, etc.etc.etc...
Only if an error has occured these circumstances become stored in memory.
Old 04-28-2003, 04:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 c230k
Are you worried about abuse prior to you getting the car or are you worried 'big brother' is watching you and your driving habits?
Old 04-29-2003, 01:16 PM

'03 S55 (79K miles)
mdp c230K:

The former, not the latter.

Though checking up on my wife's driving habits might not be a bad idea.....Hmmm!

My vehicle was delivered with more miles on it than I had desired (more than 30) despite my instructions not to take it out. I had hoped to download the driving history for peace of mind.

--GrepAwk
Old 04-29-2003, 04:17 PM

Re: mdp c230K:

Originally posted by GrepAwk
The former, not the latter.

Though checking up on my wife's driving habits might not be a bad idea.....Hmmm!

My vehicle was delivered with more miles on it than I had desired (more than 30) despite my instructions not to take it out. I had hoped to download the driving history for peace of mind.

--GrepAwk
If your dealer wanted to, he could have resetted the mileage before delivery when new.
Old 04-30-2003, 09:27 PM

well lets say this,
there are systems in cars now that will alert big brother when your car has a malfunction, they in turn will notify your local dmv and they will require you to have your vehicle checked within a certain amount of time. those of you with the on star, etc. mb can see what your car is doing at any given moment, engine spped, road speed, location, etc.etc.etc. these systems do exist in our current cars, however due to privacy issues, they are not activated or programmed to do so. the reason i know this is i used to be a motorcycle mechanic and we could on computer controlled bikes, hook up the computer and playback on the tach,speedo,etc what the bike has ben doing for the last say 60 minutes or so, some shorter some longer. we could then also look at gear position, engine coolant temp, lean angle, etc. if we wanted we could then flash this to a memory stick and print the info. i am currently a police officer and i was involved in an accident where i was going a little faster than my dept allows during a code run. i hit the brakes and slammed into another car, well to make a long story short they pulled the info from the computer and knew how fast i was going, at what speed i hit the brakes, how long abs was active, speed at impact, g force at impact and the amount of yaw in the vehicle at the time. so yes these systems do exist, and those with the right equipment can retreive it. hope this helps.
Old 05-02-2003, 08:20 PM

'03 S55 (79K miles)
nov0798

That's exactly my point.

The data is probably in the OBD CPU somewhere.

MB has the motivation to protect themselves from frivolous powertrain warranty claims, or product liability claims. 100MB of Flash for $20 is cheap insurance. But they have no incentive to tell the consumer.

I just want to know if it's there, where it is, and how to get it out and decode it. And I expect somebody reading this knows how to help me.

--GrepAwk
Old 05-04-2003, 09:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W203 & W204 3.0L 4matics & MR2 Supercharger
We all know how well these systems work'ed on all the M3's that had crank problems.

NP
Old 05-05-2003, 01:18 AM

?