Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'98 C230 Sedan cranks won't start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 08:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 C230 Sedan
'98 C230 Sedan cranks won't start

Yesterday my '98 C230 Sedan started as usual, then immediately died. Now when I turn the key, it cranks, but acts like there is no spark. Also, it continues to crank in the "on/run" position. I have to turn it all the way back off to stop the cranking. Maybe the cranking in the "on/run" position is a seperate problem alltogether. Any ideas?
Old 02-09-2011, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
First thing

don't keep cranking it, over heating the starter will shorten its life and make it keep spinning in the non start position.
Any check engine light? post the codes if so.
Next Check fuses
next CHARGE THE BATTERY(key out of ignition and use the charging post next to the engine)
next Try resetting the system by disconnecting the battery neg terminal for a few minutes.(have your radio code handy and follow the resync procedures in your manual)
next replace the crankshaft position sensor easy diy part at autohausaz.com
Last get it to a shop with an sds scanner cuz I have run out of any more ideas
Old 02-09-2011, 10:08 AM

98 C230 Sedan
Thanks for the reply - need fuse diagram

Thanks for the reply! From reading thru this forum, without asking the question, I was coming to the same conclusions. I haven't tried to find the CPS, but I know where to look. What I can't find is a fuse diagram. I'd like to check the fuse for the ignition coil, and any other ignition related.
Old 02-09-2011, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
300E a couple 1994 w124wagon E320 Wagon/,1971MGB Track/Rally, MG Midget Autocross ,2000 E320 wagon.
fuse list is

usually by the battery or inside the fuse box.
Any check engine light?
Old 02-09-2011, 09:17 PM

98 C230 Sedan
thanks again,

I havent looked near the battery in the trunk for the fuse diagram. The one at drivers side firewall doesn't show ignition fuses. I'll ck it tomorrow, maybe the ice will thaw enough to allow it. Thank you again!!!
Old 05-01-2011, 11:07 PM

C230K
Timing, tensioner, chain or other ???
Hi Was wondering if anyone could help. I have a 2003 c230K coupe with 66k miles.
The other day after sitting in the cold for 3 days I started the car to go to work. almost immediately started a loud rapping noise and idle poor. using OBDII tester from advanced auto Pulled codes P0010 intake camshaft position actuator circuit /open Bank1 as well as all 4 cyl miss fire. purchased and installed new intake sensor symptom did not change. read the possibility of chain stretch and jumping one tooth. So i removed cover to see timing marks exhaust side seemed right intake side seemed advanced. Not knowing how the adjusters work am hesitant to go further without more information. Picked up chilton manual. does not give any info in this area. Any advice would be appreciated. This particular issue there is not enough info for me to go further.
Thanks for your time and consideration.