Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So many problems on S430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2003, 12:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S430
Unhappy So many problems on S430

I have a 2002 S430 and have only had it a year. It has 14,000 miles on it and yet I keep having problems with it. Granted, they are small problems but why does it keep happening over and over again? It started with the navigation system, then the SOS, then both back windows would not go down, vibration. Now this week I have the ESP, SRS, BAS lights on and the keyless go just stopped working. The car started as normal and I began to back out of the driveway and I got a warning message that card was not recognized. If its not recognized then how did it start in the first place? So I shut it off and tried it again, only this time it wouldn't start. I tried both cards and neither could be recognized and I had to use the key. Something has to be wrong with this car! I have an appt on monday and when I commented to the service person that my car spends more time in the shop then out her reply was "well these problems are totally unrelated to the previous ones". Thats not the point though! I had a Lexus LS400 for 5 years and never had a single problem. I guess I'm paying for it now. Any ideas? Is this normal for Mercedes?
Old 05-16-2003, 04:57 AM

02 W163, 84 W123, 03 E39, 98 E39
There is an article in todays paper about MB quality being below average now including the S types. MB's response was that there may be more problems, but they were "minor" problems. It dosn't seem to be the same MB since they bought Chrysler.
Old 05-16-2003, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's crazy. The value of Mercedes reputation for quality, built on decades of hard work, is being squandered. Do they know how long it took Jaguar to overcome a bad reputation? Do they realize how long it took BMW to build their reputation? No responsible corporate executive would squander that cost and effort for just a few short years' worth of profit.

It used to be that when you thought of MB, you said "the motors can easily go 300,000 miles." Now, you think "I'd better get the extended warranty." It's sad.
Old 05-18-2003, 04:01 PM

The way of doing business is changing altogether. Since these large compaines are being pressured to increase profits year after year by shareholders, companies have to cut corners where thay can in order to satisfy their investors. Yes, this means using cheaper parts, cutting back on testing etc. We now live in an economy that thirsts for results, regardless of the costs. MB isn't as independant as it used to be, before the merger, NOT acquisition, with Chrysler. They really have their hands tied behind their backs.

MB is using their name, prestige and technological-reputation to drive home sales. Most of their models have built in customer bases anyway. Take a look at the SL, most of its new purchases were from the owners of the previous model. And the same can be said for the other models. In addition, their new designs appeal to a broader base, so they are also attracting new customers. MB won't be hurting for customers. They are the McDonalds of the auto industry.

Even though quality is slipping, its sad to say it, but there's no other practical car company that offers products that can take the place of a MB.
Old 05-21-2003, 06:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CLK320
My mom and uncle have the new s class. One bothe for 2 years. I have the new clk. maybe two or three problems but thats it.