Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hi everybody im new!! i need some help with a project i'm undertaking. thanks!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
190e
hi everybody im new!! i need some help with a project i'm undertaking. thanks!

hey guys, my name is will and i'm 21 years old and just recently i was given from my mad dog uncle a mercedes benz 190e from 1984!! its 6 years older then i am. theres only one catch and thats its been sitting around his shed for god knows how many years. The reason why?! its because my uncle one day got really hammered and confused the filling of the tank at the petrol station. Its a petrol engine and I think he accidently put disel in the car. He said it ran for about a couple of kms and then eventually broke down. so its just been sitting around his place and i got to say i'm in love with it already, its just a sweet looking car and i really want to get it back into shape and on the road again. So with that said I'm wondering where I should start, I was also given a haynes manual to read on the car but im confused as to where i should begin. I'm thinking to drain the fuel lines and then pump petrol back int the system and try to start it, but im not sure if the cars in good enough shape or if any damage has already been done. this is my first car and i'm very excited but confused. if someone could lead me off into the right direction I would greatly appreciate it!! i don't really wanna take it to the mechanics cause i wanna attempt this myself, can't wait to hear from you guys! =D
Old 07-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Audi A5 Sportback + Cannondale Prophet
How long ago did the diesel incident happen?
Old 07-02-2011, 03:56 PM

190e
the car has been sitting there for years i think. maybe more than 7 years id say, its still in pretty ok shape cause its been under a shed.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:53 AM

97 S420
Well, what killed it was when his spark plugs fouled out. Those need changed for sure, as well as flushing the fuel tank and lines. It will smoke ALOT when you do get it started for a little bit till the Diesel burns out of the cylinders and exhaust pipes.
Be sure to check your other fluids real well since it has been sitting along time, better yet if you change them while you are at it.
Best of luck!
Old 07-13-2011, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
Just clean the plugs and flush out the tank and lines. Oh, and replace the fuel filter.

Diesel fuel will not harm a gas system, just gums it up.

Just be thankful it wasn't the other way around, gas in a diesel car!
Old 07-28-2011, 09:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 ML350 4matic
Change the sludge, I mean oil, before trying to start it. Most definitely swap the plugs and flush the tank.
If it runs, you will need to flush the cooling system as well. Don't waste the money until you get it, and can keep it running.