Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pulling to right, occasionally shimmies on highway

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 12:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C300 Sport, ex 2007 C230 Sport
Pulling to right, occasionally shimmies on highway

Hi guys,

I just bought a CPO (but also still under factory warranty) 2009 C300 Sport from an MB Dealership that has new tires, new rear brakes and rotors, balancing and alignment (indicated in the Customer Copy of the Repair Order Detail).

I notice that the car seems to pull to the right under acceleration - this is especially noticeable going on a highway at around 80mph. It pulls quite heavily to the right. I also notice that it occasionally shimmies (feels like the car is m oving around on the road; I relate the feeling to "riding on air") at 80mph+ speeds. There is no vibration per se, just makes me a little uneasy though to have the car not be completely stable. According to the instrument cluster, the tire pressures are normal/OK. I've seen that the 2011 model shows the actual pressures in the tires, but my 2009 only says the Tire Pressure is OK, but doesn't show actual pressure (unless I need to dig deep into the menus).

What gives? I know that the car is powered primarily from the right-rear wheel. Is what I'm feeling normal (the shimmying and pulling to the right)? Any idea if this sort of thing is covered under warranty (considering fresh tires, balancing and alignment were reportedly done on the car as part of the CPO process by the MB dealership)? I will give the service dept. a call tomorrow but I wanted to get a "second opinion" from you kind folks.

The MB dealership has been great throughout the sales process and the last thing I want is to have it seem like I'm calling them out. There were certain things that I requested them to address at the time of the purchase and they kept their word (something I appreciate very much). I bought the car in early July but I've really only had it for around 11 days in total, since the car has been in and out of the dealership while they addressed the promised issues. In all, I have put around 600-700 miles on it. (~200 of those miles coming from driving back and forth to the dealership because it's all the way on the other side of town.. lol)

Last edited by ucfbeta92; 07-26-2011 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Rewording for clarity.
Old 07-27-2011, 04:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C350 Elegance
Replied in w204 section.