Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replaced front axle assembly w/ off brand. When trans engaged car shakes.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 02:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 MB C320 wagon
Replaced front axle assembly w/ off brand. When trans engaged car shakes.

Hello. Wondering if anyone has experienced this.

Purchased used 2003 MB C320 wagon. High miles (146xxx) but purred like a kitten and shifting was very smooth. Turned out the CV boots were torn up and it was recommended I replace the entire front axle assembly as it was likely dirt, etc migrated into the assembly. Off market axle assembly is way cheaper - so my shop replaced at substantial savings. Only thing is now when I engage the transmission, the idle becomes choppy and varied and the car vibrates. In neutral, it still purrs. Can this be related? I find the coincidence hard to stomach and my mechanic isn't convinced it's the new axle assembly. In lower gear it doesn't seem like there's a lot of torque - seems kind of sluggish from first to second gear. Ideas? I'm hoping it's not the transmission.....
Old 08-04-2011, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
97 S420
Hmmm...., Not sure what your mechanic did or the quality of these parts that were installed.
If I were you I would take it to your MB shop and have them look it over. They have the tools and knowlege to help you out of this little pickle. Some times, these cheaper parts are cheaper for a reason. I hope this doesn't get to be a REAL expensive fix before you are done.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 Infiniti G37 Coupe; 2011 GLK 350 w/ Premium 1, Multimedia & Sport Appearance; I LOVE IT!
No offense, but there's an expression:

"The poor man always pays twice."

Maybe a high-mileage MB is a poor choice if you are looking to save a few bucks...
Old 08-08-2011, 10:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
If the vehicle isn't moving and all you replaced was the cv joints/axle they are probably not the problem. If it isn't missing I would check engine mounts. They may have been damaged during the change out.
Old 09-07-2011, 07:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Originally Posted by vettdvr
If the vehicle isn't moving and all you replaced was the cv joints/axle they are probably not the problem. If it isn't missing I would check engine mounts. They may have been damaged during the change out.
And you found?