Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Experience with Alpha-Bid Diagnostic reader

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E320 CDI
Experience with Alpha-Bid Diagnostic reader

Who can comment on this system? I've read some good reviews. I'm looking for specific use on W211 E Class to clear Tranny codes.

http://www.alpha-bid.com/product55.html

Thanks,
Ron
Old 09-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
I'd be interested in knowing anyone that has used this as well. Seems really inexpensive which you usually know what that means.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:17 PM

E320 CDI
Take a look at this thread

http://m.www.mbworld.org/forums/show...0&ref=esp-link

Thoughts anyone??
Old 09-27-2011, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Im in possession of this unit now. I will update with a review once I play around with it.
Old 09-28-2011, 12:15 AM

E320 CDI
Interested to hear your experience with the Alpha

Please post when you can. I hoping to find info on reading tranny codes from the 722.6 with this unit.

Ron
Old 09-28-2011, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
I had the chance to use this MUX (Multiplexer) with Carsoft MB DIAGNOSEx 7.4S this afternoon.

Here are my initial impressions and thoughts.

Installation of the software was pretty straight forward on one of my older Windows 98 laptops which has a real DB9 serial com port. You must use a computer with an actual com port. USB com port and associated adapters WILL NOT work with this specific MUX.

The version of Carsoft they supply contains software cracks that allow for use. While this is surprising and technically illegal, the software installed and was functional.

The unit/software was successfully able to communicate via the OBDII port on my 2003 CL55 (W215) using Digital-Tests. On older pre ODBII equipped vehicles the software supports Analog-Tests via other supplied cabling.

Carsoft version 7.4S (v7.4.08) is pretty ancient. It was released back in the early 2000's and as such partially due to this particular MUX as well only works on vehicles up to 2004. After 2004 Mercedes changed from a K-Line method of communicating between the OBDII port and the various modules to a Can Bus communication method.

Newer versions of Carsoft used a stronger activation method which cracks couldn't overcome. Carsoft went to a security dongle of sorts for v7.6+

I should also point out that I was able to obtain Carsoft Information System MB v1.0 (also an ancient program that was released at the same time as Carsoft MB DIAGNOSEx v7.4) which is a companion to Carsoft MB DIAGNOSEx. It works much like Mercedes WIS (Workshop Information System). I was unable to get CIS to install. I believe this to be a compatibility issue with my laptop of Windows 98. I will try to install on a Windows 2000 system eventually.

It allows talking to most the computers/modules in my car. Polls them for errors and if there are errors reports the specific error with misc. diagnostic information.

The software allows polling from:

The unit will also allow erasing of stored and current fault codes in all these modules.

In addition there is a Special Functions tab which allows for:

This unit has about 50% of Star DAS/Xentry functionality.

All of the above is definitely more than a standard OBDII scanner can access and diagnose, however the real meat and potatoes of genuine Star DAS/Xentry is missing. Star DAS/Xentry has so many useful activations and adaptations that Carsoft MB DIAGNOSEx 7.4S is missing.

Overall for ~$100.00 this is a good system to have for the DIYer. If you are a more skilled mechanic, there is no substitute for a real or even cloned STAR DAS/Xentry workstation.

Last edited by awiner; 09-28-2011 at 03:16 AM.
                                                                                Old 09-28-2011, 03:06 AM
                                                                                  #7  
                                                                                Super Moderator

awiner's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2001
                                                                                Location: Southern California, USA
                                                                                Posts: 6,340
                                                                                2003 CL55 AMG
                                                                                Originally Posted by rdcusmc
                                                                                Please post when you can. I hoping to find info on reading tranny codes from the 722.6 with this unit.

Ron
                                                                                The unit successfully read my EGS [Transmission Control Unit]. Additionally it allows for adaption erase of the EGS after a transmission oil change.
                                                                                Old 10-27-2011, 12:31 PM
                                                                                  #8  
                                                                                Super Moderator

awiner's Avatar

2003 CL55 AMG
                                                                                I'm still using this setup and it has been working very well. Any questions? I'd be happy to answer.
                                                                                Old 10-28-2011, 02:14 PM
                                                                                  #9  
                                                                                Newbie
                                                                                Thread Starter

rdcusmc's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
                                                                                Posts: 13
                                                                                Likes: 0
                                                                                E320 CDI
                                                                                Alpha Bid

Thanks for the update and offer for more info. I received a notice a couple of days ago that they had a new version of this out.

Turns out I don't need these tools immediately after all but I'm still interested and may pursue since I plan to keep my car a really long time.

Ron
                                                                                Old 03-05-2012, 03:30 PM
                                                                                  #10  
                                                                                Newbie

gotca's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
                                                                                Location: RO, Europe
                                                                                Posts: 5
                                                                                03ml350
                                                                                Originally Posted by awiner
                                                                                ...Carsoft version 7.4S (v7.4.08) is pretty ancient. It was released back in the early 2000's and as such partially due to this particular MUX as well only works on vehicles up to 2004. After 2004 Mercedes changed from a K-Line method of communicating between the OBDII port and the various modules to a Can Bus communication method.
                                                                                ....
                                                                                hi adam,
                                                                                great info!

i have a '03 ml350 which uses can-bus.
                                                                                are you saying that carsoft mux will not work on my car?
                                                                                i know regular obd2 scanners do.

i can't seem to make up my mind between equus 3130 and carsoft mostly because of the bugs in the carsoft software.

i guess you'll be doing me a favor if you'd say it doesn't work for my car.
                                                                                Old 04-23-2012, 08:27 PM
                                                                                  #11  
                                                                                Super Moderator

awiner's Avatar

2003 CL55 AMG
                                                                                Originally Posted by gotca
                                                                                hi adam,
                                                                                great info!

i have a '03 ml350 which uses can-bus.
                                                                                are you saying that carsoft mux will not work on my car?
                                                                                i know regular obd2 scanners do.

i can't seem to make up my mind between equus 3130 and carsoft mostly because of the bugs in the carsoft software.

i guess you'll be doing me a favor if you'd say it doesn't work for my car.
                                                                                From what I've been told it will work on all 2003 model year Mercedes vehicles. The W163 is in the list of vehicles supported.

I may be selling my unit as I have a actual DAS system enroute. If interested, PM me.
                                                                                Old 05-02-2012, 06:50 AM
                                                                                  #12  
                                                                                Newbie

ML430JIM's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
                                                                                Posts: 3
                                                                                2001 ML430
                                                                                I recently purchased an ML430 and it has had some code issues I had an OBDII cable and software for my iphone from a previous vehicle and was able to use it on my ML, but it has very limited access. From what i have read here this sounds like a better thing for me to have is it still available at this late in the game???