Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C32 - Key stuck in ignition - Help needed!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C32 AMG
C32 - Key stuck in ignition - Help needed!

Hey all...

My girlfriend called me in a panic last night stating she can't remove the key from the ignition. I thought it was a silly woman oversight on something simple. When I arrived home, indeed the key was stuck in the tumblr. I can start the car, drive around, just can't remove key.

I found a forum which said something was wasn't reading right between the shifter and brake switch. Resolved by putting the car in park and stepping on the emergency brake. This allowed the key to pop right out.

Started the car up the morning, drove around the block and the key is stuck again!! Tried the same steps as I did last night with no avail. I tried jiggling it, putting the shifter in various positions, drove around the block again. This is very frustrating. I left the key in the ignition, removed the valet key and locked the doors.

So I've been on the forums looking for resolution and there's almost too much information on this topic without obvious steps to remove. I read that you can make a device with wire hanger to insert into two holes around the ignition housing - supposely this make shift device will decompress the spring holding the key in place. Sounds kinda sketchy but I'll try just about anything at this point.

I've also read general forums about similar issues with other makes and models and they were able to fix it by jiggling the wires behing the dash connecting from the ignition and/or steering column. Guess I'll see if I can disassemble to dashboard as everything in the Benz is sealed.

Has anyone experienced this before that was able to resolve without involving the dealer? I know it will cost some serious $$$ if I take it there.

Last edited by AMG_Freak; 10-16-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 10-16-2011, 03:11 PM

C32 AMG
Update:

I didn't see any holes near the housing around the ignition tumbler. I think there's a grove you can slide something in but I'm still reserved with poking objects into areas I cannot see.

Gear indicator shows that car is in Park. Key moves thru all positions as far as I can tell. Dash alerts "Remove Key" when I turn off the car and open the door - just doesn't want to release the key.

I was able to remove the key but gently hitting the key with my hand from bottom in an upward motion. I'm sure this is not the correct way to do this and I'm worried that I cause more damage if I continue to do this.

Does anyone know what part needs to be replaced?

I'm going to try to remove the dash kickpanels to give the wires a good giggle when I have some time. I'll report back my findings.

Any advice ya'll can provide is greatly appreciated.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:12 PM

97 S420
Have you looked into the saftey switch it's self? I would guess that it should be on the Brake peddle arm. That switch just doesn't think your foot is off the peddle yet, so it is holding onto the key.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
AMG
Maybe try pulling the brake pedal toward the seat to remove any slack (if any)?