Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 C300 Check Oil at Next Refuel Alert Keeps Bugging Me

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 C300
Red face 2008 C300 Check Oil at Next Refuel Alert Keeps Bugging Me

Hi guys,

New here. Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section.

My 2008 C300 has been running fine for three years now. I bought it at 4 miles and it's still with me. Lately it's been having some annoying issues and I'm wondering if it's because my Dad and I decided to do the AB service at home. We tried to DIY it to save some cash. Money's been tight lately.

We changed the oil ourselves about a few months ago (Back in July). But lately I've still been getting that annoying "Check Oil at Next Refuel" alert. I check the oil level every time (yes, after car's been off for half an hour, etc.) and it's fine! Even dropped in a little oil from time-to-time to make sure it's alright. But still, with every tank of gas I get that stupid alert coming on once.

I should mention that this alert happens when I'm driving long distances. I am only able to do this probably about once a week, since most of my daily commute is in traffic and I take the bus on the weekends (I live in the city). Engine temperature seems fine, around 80 degrees.

Any idea what might be up? I did some research and found this is a common occurrence with the model refresh. But I really want to avoid taking it to the dealer if I can. Simply put, those guys can be crooks, and sometimes they don't help at all (but still charge you an arm and a leg).
Old 11-16-2011, 07:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
11 ML350
Complaint:
Oil message "Check oil level at next refueling stop" appears on instrument cluster
Cause:
Various causes, see remedy below
Remedy:
1. Check oil level (at >85 °C engine oil temperature):
a.) Oil level OK (oil level clearly above minimum mark). Continue with step 2
b.) Oil level not OK (oil level at or below minimum mark), correct oil level. No further measures required

2. Check coding of engine model designation/oil data record in ASSYST:
a.) Coding of engine model designation/oil data record OK, continue with step 3
b.) Coding of engine model designation/oil data record not OK, correct coding. No further measures required

3. Check oil level switch at different oil levels (minimum and maximum) using DAS test step/socket box:
a.) Oil level switch OK, continue with step 4.
b.) Oil level switch not OK, replace oil level switch (observe parts ordering notes)
Note:
The oil level must only be measured via the oil level switch in the following operating state:
- Oil temperature > 85 degrees Celsius
- Rpm range 1000 - 1500 rpm
- Measurement duration: min. 60 sec.

4. Check installed oil dipstick:
a.) Installed oil dipstick OK, no further measures required
b.) Installed oil dipstick not OK, replace oil dipstick. No further measures required
Old 11-26-2011, 11:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
07 E63, 04 discovery
Probably needs an oil level sensor if your oil level is okay and you keep getting the message