Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

electrical problems, climate control issues, hesitation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 11:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1988 260E
Question electrical problems, climate control issues, hesitation

I'm new to the forums but it's great to see so many dedicated Mercedes owners! I was hoping someone could help me. I've had my 1988 260E for almost a year now. Before getting the car, it basically sat unused for about 2 years (causing who knows how much problems). Since I've had it, I've had several problems and I have reason to believe they may all be based around one common issue.

One problem I'm having is starting. At a cold start, the car usually takes a few seconds to turn over. Once starting, the car almost always stalls immediately afterwards (unless a little bit of gas is given to raise the rpms to about 1200). Afterwards, the engine still seems to have issues and sometimes has severe hesitation (gas pedal can be floored and car will creep but 5 seconds later will react and shoot off).

Another problem I've noticed is the ABS system. When I first received the car, the light wasn't on, but one day the car wouldn't start and after getting it started, the light came on, and has been on since. I read in my owner's manual that the light will come on if the voltage drops below 11 volts (or something like that) and the ABS system will be disabled. I had the battery tested and the alternator as well and both were said to be working great. However, when one guy tested the actual battery cable for me, he said that somehow the juice coming out of the battery into the positive terminal was normal, but further down the line, it was not showing as much power going thru.

Finally, the air conditioning does not work very well at all (and supposedly hasn't for a while). I know that it has plenty of refrigerant and a test I had done on it last summer claimed that the system was in good working order (not a very thorough test to be honest). I know that the compressor kicks on when the air conditioning is turned on and i know the heat works great during the winter months.

I know this seems like alot, but I would greatly appreciate any and all help, suggestions, fixes, similar experiences, etc. Thanks again!

Matt
1988 260E