Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can a Remote Key be Reprogrammed?

Old 11-12-2011, 10:06 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Can a Remote Key be Reprogrammed?

Picked up a couple remote keys from a local wrecking yard for a good price... free! Is it possible to reprogram these keys to work in a running MB ('05 S55), assuming the keys are of the same generation as the target vehicle? If so, what steps are needed? Obviously the mechanical key will not work as that is specific to the tumblers in the original/junked vehicle.

Based on info from a thread on BenzWorld, I took the keys apart and they appear in good shape. The red indicator lamp illuminates properly for each key, so they should (in theory) work properly, if they could be reprogramed. Interestingly, I cannot see any entry point for electrical programming by MB. Is it possible the IR sensor at the tip is both send and receive, and this is where data/info is transferred to the key by the factory?

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 11-13-2011, 02:32 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S55K AMG
Nope
Old 11-14-2011, 06:33 PM
Administrator

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by light8008
it's possible to program a key for Mercedes Benz '05 S55. advice you use AK500 programmer.

So let me get this straight. You either want him to buy this programmer or someone else. For a 1 off or similar its cheaper to pay the piper. Unless of course you are advocating breaking forum TOU rules and thereby attempting to do business.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
So let me get this straight. You either want him to buy this programmer or someone else. For a 1 off or similar its cheaper to pay the piper. Unless of course you are advocating breaking forum TOU rules and thereby attempting to do business.
I didn't interpret the response as a push for 'business', nor did I see the response as an insult. I agree that it would be far cheaper, safer and more reliable to purchase a key (or two, or three!) through MB. But Light8008 did answer the question directly... it IS possible to reprogram key(s), IF you are willing to fork over ~$1,500 for the programmer. Now the decision is mine... do I cough up the big bucks (a certain metaphysical location will freeze over first) or forego the purely investigative project. Considering I already possess 2 working keys and I came across 2 additional keys at no charge, the decision is simple. Nevertheless, I did enjoy reviewing the AK500 unit.

All that said, thanks Light8008 for the information.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 11-20-2014, 02:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W164 2011 benz
Originally Posted by MB-Dude
Picked up a couple remote keys from a local wrecking yard for a good price... free! Is it possible to reprogram these keys to work in a running MB ('05 S55), assuming the keys are of the same generation as the target vehicle? If so, what steps are needed? Obviously the mechanical key will not work as that is specific to the tumblers in the original/junked vehicle.

Based on info from a thread on BenzWorld, I took the keys apart and they appear in good shape. The red indicator lamp illuminates properly for each key, so they should (in theory) work properly, if they could be reprogramed. Interestingly, I cannot see any entry point for electrical programming by MB. Is it possible the IR sensor at the tip is both send and receive, and this is where data/info is transferred to the key by the factory?

Cheers,
Jeff
You need to buy a benz key programmer to program these remote keys. About the key programmer, there are many choice on the website. You can choose the one suitable.