Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2005 ML350 power steering pump torn off

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 01:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 ML350
Unhappy 2005 ML350 power steering pump torn off

I have a 2005 ML350 that I have had serviced only at Mercedes Dealerships since I purchased it in 2009. I have done every service/maintenance recommended in addition to an alignment, rear brakes and a water pump. When the water pump went out in Sept 2010, I was informed it destructed the belt and the belt tensioner. I had the dealership do the complete repair. Within a few days I noticed a squeaking noise and took the car to the dealership and reported the squeaking. They said they could not duplicate the noise. I took it in several more times for maintenance, etc. and each time they could not duplicate the noise. Last week it got worse so I drove it to the dealership on a Friday evening so they would have it Monday morn. The automobile broke down on the way and I had it towed in. I was informed yesterday that my power steering pump had torn away from the timing case. They also said they had never seen this happen and did not have any idea how it could have happened. I reminded them of the noise I had been having since the water pump repair, but they informed me there was no connection. After careful thought, I have contacted 3 other dealerships and 2 certified Mercedes Technicians. I was informed by every one of them, the only way this could have happened is that my power steering pump was not properly installed back after the water pump was installed, that the power steering pump had to be either moved away or taken off in order to put on the water pump. I informed the dealership of these answers and was told this morning that they did not have to touch my power steering pump and that they were not responsible. Has anyone else run into this problem? They are giving me an estimate of over $4000.00.
Old 12-20-2011, 07:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
09 E350 ,
if it is a 112 or 113 engine you do not have to touch the power steering pump only the alternator upper bolt ,