Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 C230 panoramic roof multi problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 coupe paprika
2002 C230 panoramic roof multi problems

I have searched through many of the panroof threads on this site, and haven't found a solution to my multiple problems. I'm pretty sure that I have the same warped motor problem that many others have. I started with a roof that had many broken parts, too many to repair since MB dealership doesn't sell individual small parts. So, I bought a salvage roof that was supposed to have been tested and functional. When I got it, the rear sun shade had broken connector clips that fasten it to the track. I was able to salvage one from my old roof. Also, two of the worm gears were hanging out the back of the roof by about a foot. I was able to push them back in, but when I try to close the sun shades, it just pushes one of the gears right back out the back of the roof. Also, the "open" switch never switches from opening the shades to opening the roof. I don't know how the roof knows when the shades are open which should transfer power to the sunroof motor. So to check the sunroof itself, I just switched the wiring to the other side and the roof did open, although slowly, and then wouldn't fully close. I was able to manually close it by turning the motor by hand with an allen wrench and some elbow grease. I decided to leave well enough alone at that point. So...I need to figure out how to repair the rear sun shade, figure out why the worm gear is being pushed out the back and how to fix it, figure out why the power never transfers to the sunroof motor, and then finally figure out a way to fix the slow opening and lack of fully closing. Anybody have all of the answers? I'd settle for bits and pieces of answers. Thanks for reading!