Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highend hotel valet killed my trans after no tip

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C32, 2002 S55, 1999 SL500, 2004 S430
Highend hotel valet killed my trans after no tip

1999 sl500

This outstanding running car took a 250mile trip to a very prestigious hotel with a no problem drive. I valet the car because there was no apparent self parking and I had no cash to tip. After a few days I received the car. Every foot moved I noticed some thing binding in the trans area with very loud snaps. After about 10 feet some thing had come loose in the trans causing many noises and very loud knocking. At that point I called for a manager and filed a complaint. I figured since it was a internal trans problem I mite as well drive it till it goes out. I made it about 100 miles before it wouldn't move any more.

Has any one had these problems.?

Im guessing the valet had it in gear with the brakes on reving it till it some thing broke

Or he had the car rolling than thrown it in park braking the part of the trans that locks it up. When the car was driven it felt like that locking part was locked and being forced to release.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:45 PM

2000 CLK Cabriolet
Originally Posted by carbizindio
I figured since it was a internal trans problem I mite as well drive it till it goes out. I made it about 100 miles before it wouldn't move any more.

Sure, why not turn a $1,500 repair into a $10K one, great idea. Did wanting to "make the hotel pay" have anything to do with that decision?

Saying it's the valet's fault without any actual evidence is a bit of a reach. Cars break down. They run fine, and then they don't - problems don't always develop gradually, or in a manner than the driver will notice.

Last edited by Topless2000CLK; 03-07-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:57 PM

2003 C32, 2002 S55, 1999 SL500, 2004 S430
A newer low mileage trans goes for $800-1200, there is no point in towing it to a shop that will tell me what I already know which is the trans needs to be pulled apart for repair. There is no point in rebuilding a trans when used transmissions are so inexpensive. If any thing driving the car until it quit was the most cost effective decision seeing that I eliminated about $400 worth of towing. With the metal shrapnel in the trans from the valet drive still would of warranted a total rebuild or replacement regardless of the 100 drive after.

FYI I'm not going after the hotel, its not worth the battle.

Transmission problems tend to develop gradually, for example signs of slipping, hard shifts, codes. I see no way a trans can go from perfect to complete failure after handing keys over to valet with out intentional abuse. The hotel would have all the evidence and I hope they will deal with the employee accordingly.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:54 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AW
Rent the movie "Ferris Bueller's Day Off" and it will give you even more clarity.

I ALWAYS tip.

This is hard to prove and will become a which came first; chicken or egg.

Sounds expensive and my condolences to your tranny. RIP