Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kick down Misfunction

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 11:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes Benz 2001 E430, Chevy 1967 Corvette 427, 3 duece, 4 speed, posi, 2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Kick down Misfunction

Mercedes 2001 E430, 23,000 miles, automatic, V8, Stock except for wheels and tires. I purchased the car with the assumption that the reliability of the Mercedes is at the top of the automotive industry. The vehicle has all the service records from Mercedes since new. Is very clean inside and out and under beautiful car. Here are the problems I have encountered in the short time of ownership. The head Liner is beginning to separate, the fuel gauge will only measure 3/4 when full, an electrical plug in that plugs into the transmission on the right side of the transmission leaked fluid (This I repaired). Here's the kicker, when cruising down the road and putting the throtle in wide open position I don't feel it going into a passing gear but does accelerate (now all seems well until I bring the vehicle to a stop, now it acts like it is in fourth gear and barely moves, I turn the engine off and wait a minute and on restart the vihicle acts as though nothing is wrong, operates fine. Took the car back on to the hiway-wide open throtle and it duplicated the same problem. A vehicle of this caliber should not have these problems ( fuel gauge, head liner, drive train malfunction).
I want to believe I purchased a great car but I am having doubts.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 SLK350
Not sure if your AT works in a similar fashion to the 722.9 7sp in my SLK, BUT, this "sounds" very similar to a conductor plate problem my trans had. My AT would get "stuck" in 6th, but all would return to normal after shutting the engine off, then re-starting. It did this 3 times before I took the car to the dealer. The trans had a FAULT Code 2767-Faulty Speed Sensor. You probably should get it to a shop and get the trans "scanned" for codes.
AS to the other problems, I have no idea, sorry.

Last edited by Galo; 04-01-2012 at 03:34 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:36 PM

Mercedes Benz 2001 E430, Chevy 1967 Corvette 427, 3 duece, 4 speed, posi, 2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Galo, thank you for the reply and the information.
Ron
Old 03-24-2012, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 SLK350
My pleasure, Ron. I too purchased my SLK thinking MB was this great, no problem car, but have learned it's "not really". The car only had 35k miles when the trans had its problems and wasn't even due for its first service for another 4-5k miles. The drivers seat cushion heater doesn't work(a VERY fragile piece) and I had to replace 3 "plugs" on the backs of the heads because they leaked(fortunately they are relatively inexpensive and easy to replace, but how did they wear-out?). I also had to replace the trunk struts; 1 -2 concussions were enough... ok, no concussions, but my head DID hurt after the lid popped ME on the lid LOL

Like the "Old Milwaukee Beer" commercial used to say, "It doesn't get any better than this!"

Take care,
Galo(aka Mark)
Old 03-24-2012, 11:32 PM

Hi Galo,Funny I've owned chevy's all my driving life switched to a MB because of all the Hype, I am a mechanic but the electronics on all the newer machines is making it more difficult. I'll give the MB a chance to correct itself, I have owned many clasic cars, some times you have to stay with what is dependable and not a money pit. Hey have a great day(s).
Ron

Last edited by rambohd; 04-01-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:14 PM

1998 VW GTI
First off is to scan the vehicle and see what codes are being thrown. You said your transmission pilot bushing was leaking, was there lots of oil comming out of the plug? I would check your transmission control unit which is is separate from the conductor plate like the 722.9 that was previously mentioned. I believe in that vehicle the Tcm is under the pass side front footwell in the cabin. Lift the carpet up and there should be a plastic "cover" held down with a few nuts. Under that cover is your Tcm. Check to see if oil has entered the Tcm through the wiring harness.
Old 04-01-2012, 09:10 AM

Thanks Derek, I'll check it out this weekend.