Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mercedes Benz GL450 SmartKey problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 11:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes Benz, BMW
Mercedes Benz GL450 SmartKey problems

I am wondering if someone has the same issue with the SmartKey as I do and was able to successfully fix it. In my case, one key is working great but another one is not. The bad one was completely dead. I mean there was no any indication that it works. I did some testing by removing the problematic electronic chip from its enclosure and inserted it into the good ones and left the battery block from the good one. This way I eliminated any possible issues related to the power block and enclosure itself. I also cleaned that chip from the dirt. It had lots of it. Now, the behavior changed and it is kind of strange. As soon as I insert the battery block, the red light blinks once. The car starts to alarm and stops alarming after a minute.. In case when I use the good chip, everything works as it should be. I still cannot turn the engine on or close/open the door locks. I am wondering if there is any fix. I believe the problem is related to the rust and dirt which I removed. I am not sure what else I can do. Buying new chip is quite pricey.
Any advice is highly appreciated! Thank you in advance.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:19 AM

Mercedes Benz, BMW
I am still cannot solve the issue. Any advice is highly appreciated!
Old 05-10-2012, 01:52 PM

Mercedes Benz, BMW
Thank you!