Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trunk Lid Adjustment 1999 S500

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2003, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 S-500
Question Trunk Lid Adjustment 1999 S500

Hi, ya'll!! Here we go again...!

Can anyone of you guys help me figure out how to adjust the tightness on the trunk lid? What happens is that when I close the trunk lind, it apparently does not close tight enough and whenever I go over a bump, the lid makes a bump noise. It was driving me crazy - since I assume that there should not be any bumps and rattles. SO... I took out everything out of the trunk, including the spare tire, etc, etc.... and checked the battery compartment and it was tied down properly. I went out for a spin and the ever present bump was still there. I got this brain storm idea and I put a folded-up towel close to the latch, and closed the lid. Lo' and behold!! ... the bump noise is gone, yeah! So therefore, it seems that the lid is not closing tight enough and slams againt the body whenever I go over a bump. Since the lid closes via the automatic closing mechanism how do you adjust this mechanism in order for the lid to close down tighter??

Thanks for your help.-
Old 02-25-2004, 09:56 AM

Adjustment possible?

has anyone adjusted the latch? the vacuum system pulls the lid down, but then releases about 5mm- looks a bit high and I want to adjust if possible.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:10 PM

1993 300SD
trunk lid

On my 1993 the part on the bottom has 2 bolts which holds the lid down. These bolts are prone to loosening and need to be retightened. Look not on the lid but the bottom. You should find some plastic covers which can be pried out to access the bolts.
Old 04-03-2007, 03:48 PM

2015 CLS400
Question Same prob w/my 1999 s500

I have the exact same problem with my 1999 S500 and it is driving me insane. I first checked the trunk for any loose components and found absolutely nothing. I even reinforced the spare tire plastic cover with some velcro adhesives. Is the folded up towel still working for you? Where exactly did you place the towel, I may have to try this myself.