Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Early Kompressor supercharger fail..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-08-2012, 09:56 AM
Hyy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SLK 200 kompressor r171
Early Kompressor supercharger fail..

Hello

I own a SLK 200 kompressor from 2005. (r171, m271 engine)
2 weeks ago, when I was on my way driving home, the check engine light went on. The car felt slower than usual. It didn't give the extra 'boost' it used to give when bypassing 2500-3000 rpm.

Then few days later I had it checked by an independent Mercedes partner (30 years experience according to their site) on a small test STARdiagnose. The mechanic replaced a small plastic that was broken and replaced my dirty air filter for 120 euro. He testdrove it after the fix and found it slow. So after the fix, after 1 minute of driving the CEL lit up again, the car was still slow as if the kompressor does not exist. They checked for another 30 minute and found that nothing appeared to be broken/wrong.

They proposed to let the car sit overnight, so they can disassemble everything to check the kompressor for 130 euro. Next day they called and told me that the kompressor is out and does not work anymore. They offered me to replace it for 2560ish euro. (supercharger itself and "8 hours of work") They also advised me not to drive "that much" anymore or the intercooler will be pressured, which will lead to damaged engine and end of the car's life.

The car currently has 79000 km and has been maintenanced everytime. Is this normal that the supercharger gives up this early? Any reason or this or did I ecounter misfortune? I've seen a few used superchargers, do you recommend buying a used one (all >80k km)?
Are the superchargers the same ones on every kompressor engines? 180, 200, 230, ...

Thank you for reading this wall of text and hope to receive your help/comments soon.