Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 S500 needs leaves cleaned out. Advice?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 03:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Mercedes S500
2000 S500 needs leaves cleaned out. Advice?

My 2000 S500 is dry and in the garage now, but am scared to drive the car since it rains so much in Florida. Recently it got a little wet on the floorboards again for the 2nd time, but is now operating good. Is it possible for a lady who is pretty handy to clean out those leaves? Do I have to take it to a mechanic and pay to have it done? Very expensive! I might need some detailed directions. Can anyone give me information?

Thanks!
Jeanne
Old 10-18-2012, 11:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
03 E55 AMG, 06 Harley Road King Custom 06 Ram 2500 Cummins, 97 Firebird Race Car, 88 Cutlass Supreme
I'm not understanding your post completely. You had some water on the floors inside the car and you believe its due to leaves accumulating somewhere? Perhaps between the hood and windshield?
Old 10-19-2012, 01:53 AM

2000 Mercedes S500
I think it's a known problem associated with one or a few models. Leaves go through the vents, below the windshield, and clog the drains. The rain water flows under the car (air vents?) and gets the front and back passenger floorboards wet. Electrical problems then occur. My mechanic said it wasn't an easy fix. My husband recently passed away and I don't want to get rid of the car, but I'd like to know how to fix it, without paying $1000 or whatever. Thank you so much for your reply!
Old 10-19-2012, 09:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
09' E320
You are the only one who can say what you are capable of doing mechanically.

Usually, there are a couple of panels covering the upper firewall area separating the engine from the passenger compartment which can be removed with minimal tools.

There is nothing much in that area that moves or is scary if that is what you are worrried about. The engine should be off adn the key in your pocket of course.

As with anything that is expensive and electrical, you want to be careful about arcing wires or connectors using metal tools as there are computers and relay modules in that area. For this job, fingers should suffice so that should not be an issue.

Make certain that the roof rail separating the roof from the doors is also clean. There is usually a drain there which can get clogged from organic debris. A strong spray of water from a few inches away will usually clear them. Close the hood before using water.

Last edited by TMAllison; 10-19-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 10-20-2012, 02:07 AM

2000 Mercedes S500
Thanks very much for your reply. The trusted mechanic, my husband used, showed me the leaves. Yes, 2 long plastic sections, in the back of the engine area, had to be removed and then he removed a lid, which exposed the leaves, deep inside. I don't think fingers can reach that deep. It was if we were looking down into a hole, maybe like a gas tank. Utensils would have to be used, I'm pretty sure. I just don't know how far the leaves could go, beyond what can be seen, beyond that hole.

Thanks again!
Jeanne
Old 10-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
That vent 'hole' is the air intake for the cabins blower motor.

You can access the other side of this hole by removing the glove compartment and pulling the two cabin air filters out.

Not sure if the blower motor will block anything or not though.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:57 PM

2000 Mercedes S500
Leaves cause drainage problems, then electrical problems.

Thanks awiner! Sounds like I need to give it a try. It just seems like it has to be more complicated since the mechanic wanted around $1000, although I don't have the exact number at this time.

Thanks again!
Jeanne