Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1992 500 SEL Trans Problems

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 07:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1992 500 SEL
1992 500 SEL Trans Problems

I am a newbie to the forum and have just bought my first mercedes, a car I am already in love with. After driving many Lincolns and Cadillacs, there truly is no comparison! I have bought a 1992 500 SEL from an estate. The car has not been driven for a couple of years. It drove wonderful on my way home the first day. The second day I drove it I noticed a slight transmission slip. It was low on fluid. I topped it off with fluid and now it seems to rev quite high before shifting. It does not seem like the traditional slip to me when a trans is on its way out. When I first drove the car home the speedometer did not work. Now it does...is it just a fluke or is there possibly a computer issue going on? I also have a 95 500 sel with slight front end damage that I bought as a parts car if anyone is in need of anything. The rest of the car is intact and in very good condition. Thanks in advance for everyones help!!!!
Old 10-30-2012, 09:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
cl600
you might want to drain and flush the tranny fluid while replacing the filter. sometimes burnt, old fluid will cause this.