Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

With all the dyno and horsepower discussion, I

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi S4
With all the dyno and horsepower discussion, I

like to point out that there is a very accurate dyno at Advanced Motorsport Solutions in Carson. It is a Maha Four-wheel dyno and has proven to be very accurate. This is the exact same dyno that Audi and other German manufacturers use to tune and generate hp and torque claims. It measures driveline loss and calculates crank horsepower.

A recent dyno session with a Viper has shown it to be within 1% accurate. The machine measured 499.1 hp and 526 ft/lbs of torque. The manufacturer claims the rated horesepower at 500 hp and torque at 525 ft/lbs.

There were also other stock vechicles such as an Audi 1.8T Quattro, Audi S4, and a Porsche Boxster S that dyno very close to the manufacturer's hp and torque claims.

I just wanted to share this info with everyone on the board who might be interested.

BTW, this is my first post and I just want to say hi to everyone here.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C32 AMG
Hi M007,

I'm wondering how they can be sure they are so close to the actual hp and torque. Even though a manufacturer claims a certain HP, there is no way all engines will produce exactly this amount. Just look at the S600, SLK32, etc...where variances exist. To come close to the manufacturer's claims, they can merely adjust the percentage of drivetrain loss. If they wanted to show true accuracy, they could remove the engine, and test it at the crank. Even then, environmental changes could skew the results! Just being skeptical as usualy. I'm sure this really is one of the most accurate out there.

Welcome to the board! Good first post.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:57 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1997 E420
Regarding the chassis dyno accuracy. Most manufacturers claims are based on a specific set of "facts". Sea level, 70% humidity, 75 degree air temp, etc. So, too are the algorythms in the software for the dyno software. So, the term "accurate" is actually more like +/- X% accurate. If you use a water brake, or other type of engine dyno, then you have to use a set of reverse percentages to remove the "chassis hp" parasitic load. Either one is "accurate", but nowadays, the "rear wheel hp" has been more popular. Either way, as long as your mods make your numbers go up, I guess we are going in the right direction! Of course, then come the driveability issues, vacum at idle, part throttle response, bottom vs. top end horsepower..... gees, i need coffee