Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 ml320 pressure from oil filter/major leak!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 ml320
Unhappy 99 ml320 pressure from oil filter/major leak!

I just joined so hopefully I'm posting in the correct place.

Long story short... When I start my ml, the oil was leaking from the o-ring under the oil filter cap. It looked like whoever changed the oil the past few times hadn't changed the ring bc it was dry and brittle. I changed it myself and it was fine while driving a short distance. Then after driving in traffic for about an hour I noticed a smell of burning oil and oil light came on. What I think happened is that it was very hot, the o-ring expanded but for some reason there is a lot of pressure coming up thru housing and made ring pop out a bit. Oil was EVERYWHERE!!! So I got another o-ring pack and replaced the ones on the stick that connects to the filter and the large ring. Then I also realized that the cap wasn't being put on correct either. So, I fixed that and put cap back on and it seemed to pop out a little with hand tight and 1/4 turn with the tool thing. -sorry, I don't know many technical names of tools and whatnot bc I learned about cars from bro-in-law, ex bfs and self teaching. Lol) So, I put it on hand tight. It was fine again driving short distance then again, oil everywhere! Another new ring and hand tight 1/4 turn, working perfect for about two weeks and I was so proud that I "fixed" it myself when non of the "guys" could. Now today after driving for over two hours, I smelled oil. Again! Everywhere!!! Why is this happening? How do I fix it? It seems the o-ring expands when the engine gets hot which makes sense but is there suppose to be so much pressure coming up that it pops a gap out in ring and leaks ALL the oil?? Please help!!! I'm so frustrated!!!
Old 11-01-2012, 04:49 PM

W204 C220/ W639 CDI 120
You need to get a new olie filter cap complet from mb
That wil fix problem
Old 11-01-2012, 09:28 PM

99 ml320
Thanks. I finally figured it out today right before I went to get a new cap. The large o-ring isn't suppose to go all the way to the top of the cap threads. There is a groove about 1/8 inch where I thought I went. There was an old o-ring still in there but I guess no one ever noticed it bc it was flat and same color black as cap. Anyway, took that one off and replaced with new ring. So far so good, knock on wood. But thanks for the reply!