Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 W202 C180 Rough Idle, Poor Performance, Ignition Problem Fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-07-2012, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c class, a clasd
98 W202 C180 Rough Idle, Poor Performance, Ignition Problem Fix

My first post, thought it might as well be a useful one.

I have two mercedes a 98 C180 Classic & 2000 A160 Elegance

After a journey the other day my C Class begam to behave poorly, lie it was missing slightly somewhere and backfireing slightly. So middle of the night pouring with rain I left it to the morning.

Upon inspection and the adding of a rather heavy dose of fuel syetem cleaner and a good heavy load being put on the engine fuel issues not a problem. So onto next port of call ignition.

I searched the net a bit to come to this assumption but with a fairly simple to understand redundant spark igintion system I removed the pipework from the MAF and inlet chamber,cleaned out the MAF air filter housing and cleaned the small breather hose and inlet butterfly before removing the three security screws that remove the cover that protects the ignition syetem.

Here we are presented with a ignition module on 1 and 3 with a plug lead on 2 and four. On my car the missing beat seemed to be on the initial stroke so I changed the plugs. Using a 10mm socked to remove the ignition coil modules from thir seatings and the plugs either sides. To rule out the faulty module I swapped the modules over to see if the missfire moved to a different cylinder which it duely did.

I ordered a new set of plugs and an ignitio module from my supplier however eurospares did have the module for about £45, I replaced the plugs as a matter of course for a 150k vehical and changed the faulty coil pack, performed a general clean up and put everthing back in reverse.

Double checked the engine bay and test drive, perfect quick easy repair. Hope this helps (if your having ignition problems it can play to look at the modules and leads in the dark to look for flashover faults)

Anyway simple effective repair and dignaosis for under £55. Love the Benz..
Old 12-12-2012, 03:45 PM

MERCEDES BENZ SE 300
hi there,
MB FLUIDS ,
WILL DO IT ALL OR YOU

M
Old 02-25-2013, 01:01 PM

Merc C180 Espirit Auto
Same Problem Here. HELP!

Hi

Interesting.
My 99 C180 which has done 100K was laid up last July and since then the MOT Tax and insurance has run out (I have another car), so I can't run it on the road, but after suffering a flat battery (Replaced), I have started it each month, which it does fine, BUT it seems to run rough and not fully rev. (Not all the time just some of the time). E.g It can run fine for 15 mins then start missing. It then splutters, idle's roughly, and won't rev past about 3000rpm even with your foot nailed to the floor. (Plugs and fuel filter were changed approx 8K ago). Do you think mine is suffering the same? Appreciate your feedback!
Old 02-26-2013, 05:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W201 190E 3.0 M103
Resistance goes up with underbonnet heat so I usually find if a car runs fine after startup then starts acting up after running for a bit, it's often electrical. So my guess fasth is probably a yes.
Old 03-17-2013, 04:52 PM

C180
Hi, i'm having a c 180 with no mass air flow. It's having hard start when cold especialy in the morning. I will have to introduced a bit of fuel in to the actuator before it will start. Any idea of what i can do