Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

won't start -- is it the alarm? please help newbie!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2003, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1984 500SL
Unhappy won't start -- is it the alarm? please help newbie!

I am hoping someone with general security system knowledge can point me in the right direction. I can't start my Benz and I suspect the alarm system.

It's an 84 500SL with an after-market Alpine 8040 alarm. The remotes control the alarm, lock/unlock the doors, just the basics.

The car's been in storage for 12 months. I've been keeping the battery in working order by running the car every week or so, but if I don't get to it quickly enough it won't start and I need to use a battery charger to get it back to life.

A few weeks ago, it wouldn't start even with the battery fully-charged. It didn't sound like the starter was even engaging, just a low buzzing noise when I turned the key. (BTW, the starter was replaced about 3 years ago.) All the lights work so I believe the electrical system is OK. I suspected the alarm so I started playing with the remote and discovered that it would not lock/unlock the doors. Strange. Then somehow I engaged the panic feature and the alarm started going off uncontrollably. The main button would not turn it off. The only way I can get the alarm to stop sounding is to put the key in the ignition, turn to the 2nd click, and press the main remote button. I've had to leave it this way to retain my sanity.

Any ideas what's going on? I certainly don't want to have the car towed to a dealership if it's something simple that I can fix. There is limited troubleshooting information in the owner's manual, and the Alpine web site turned up nothing. I would appreciate any suggestions. I guess my next step at home tonight is to disconnect the battery altogether and see if that resets the alarm.
Old 07-29-2003, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1986 560SEL, 97 BMW 740iL
I had the same problem with yours but my aftermarket alarm is Clifford. After a while not using the car, the battery died and I couldn't open the door with the remote and had to use the key. After jump started the car, the alarm went off and I had to get out and use the remote to reset everything. Next time when I store the car, I would not arm it with Clifford system. Just disconnect the neg and lock with the key. Call Alpine and ask them about it.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:59 AM

Starting Problem

The alarm system seems to be wired to the ignition circuit (usually the +wire to the coil). It acts a a sort of inmobiliser and disconnects the -negative wire to the starter motor preventing the car to start. This connection comes from the wire loom from the alarm system. Trace it to the ignition circuit system and bridge it. Note that if you disconnect the wire the ignition circuit will be disabled. It needs to be bridged. When you find the connection I suggest to bridge permanently as this functionality of disabling the starter motor causes more problems than advantages.
The alarm system should have a key to shut it off. You need to deactivate and reactivate the alarm to reset it.