Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Easy Entry Problem - Weak Battery?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 SLK350, Auto, Premium, Entertainment, Lighting, AMG Sport Pkg, Designo Pkg (Graphite)
Easy Entry Problem - Weak Battery?

Starting several weeks ago, I noticed that the the steering column sometimes pauses part way down for a few seconds before completing its movement (easy entry setting "on"). When the steering column completely finishes moving it's in the correct position so the memory system itself seems to be functioning OK.

I'm wondering if the problem may be due to the car battery starting to become weak. (My car is a 2006 SLK350 with approximately 37,000 miles on it.) Perhaps everything that turns in the car at start up (e.g., engine, HID lights, climate control, sound system, and steering column motor) are too much for the battery to handle causing the steering column motor to pause momentarily? As a test the last couple of days, I've been inserting the key in the ignition, then waiting for the steering column to finish moving before starting the car. So far, with this approach I haven't seen the problem appear.

I have the original battery in the car, so it's approaching being 7 years old. I primarily drive the vehicle around town, so lots of short trips which I'm guessing could reduce the overall life of the battery. I have not had any problems - no hard starting problems.

Just trying to figure if the battery might be the problem. If so, maybe it would be better to swap that out before paying the dealership to look at the problem. In my experience, intermittent problems like this don't seem to be resolved very easily.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 12-02-2012, 09:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
The easy entry system uses a set of screw gears, usually plastic. These are known to wear and break.

I wonder if this may be what is starting to happen.