Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Star C3/C4 Questions

Old 01-07-2013, 05:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
'96 SL600, '05 S55 AMG, '06 C230
Star C3/C4 Questions

My head is spinning! I’ve read dozens of threads about the Star C3/C4, this site and BenzWorld, with most of the threads going back in time quite a way. Virtually all threads start off well, and then get off on tangents here and there which ultimately make following it somewhat confusing for someone seeking knowledge of the system. Some information also appears a bit dated. So I have a couple basic questions:

1) The IBM T30 laptop seems to be the ‘puter of choice for the SDS because it has a built-in serial port. Does it have to be an IBM T30, or can any reasonable, Windows XP-esque laptop with a built-in serial port work? Due to software addressing, I understand where a built-in port will work while a PCMIA card or USB-Serial adapter will not. But does it have to be an IBM T30 (or IBM variant)? I have a Toshiba 4030CDT that is rugged as heck and has a built-in serial port.

2) A lot of sellers are bundling a hard drive preloaded with the software, ready for an IBM T30 laptop. Assuming any reasonable laptop with built-in serial port will work, has anyone had success migrating the SDS program(s) from the loose HD to a different HD installed in a non-IBM laptop?

3) There seems to be some good sellers of SDS systems and some bad sellers. Which are the good ones and which are the bad ones? More recent history is preferred as it seems that some of the good sellers a while back have turned bad, and vice versa. Arguably, this is the most important question.

4) C3/C4/C3-Compact, etc. This one is fairly confusing as it is still unclear in my mind which is applicable to which and why is there even a difference. I need to immediately work on a W220 (2005). But in a perfect world, the unit would also interface with an R129 (1996). I have read pros, cons, more pros, more cons of each. If I wanted to interface with a 1996, and a 2005, and a 2008 Smart, which is recommended?

Thanks in advance. I’m going to break-down and get a unit, but doing the research has left me more bewildered than knowledgeable.

Cheers,
Jeff
Old 01-08-2013, 01:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 ML350
Thanks for asking the question. I am totally confused myself!
Old 01-08-2013, 03:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
I recommend a Dell D630 laptop. It has an native RS232 port (9 pin) and its much faster than the T30.

As for hard drives, if you plan to go down that route, you WILL NEED a hard drive that is meant for the computer you plan to install it in. Therefore a D630 drive is needed for the D630 and a T30 drive would be needed for the IBM T30.

As for the MUX. I recommended the Type D (C3) NON Wireless unit. Much less problems. The only catch with any clone is to make sure to source a HIGH QUALITY one which is becoming very hard these days.

Also realize that newer vehicles, 2011 and newer (W204, etc.), are becoming harder to diagnose with clone units as Mercedes is closing the ability by requiring more online SCN and FDOK programming. For the cars you mentioned, you shouldn't have an issue unless online SCN coding is required.

Last edited by awiner; 01-09-2013 at 11:54 AM.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:17 AM

Originally Posted by awiner
I recommend a Dell D630 laptop. It has an native RS232 port (9 pin) and its much faster than the T30.

As for hard drives, if you plan to go down that route, you WILL NEED a hard drive that is meant for the computer you plan to install it in. Therefore a D630 drive is needed for the D630 and a T30 drive would be needed for the IBM T30.

As for the MUX. I recommended the Type D (C3) NON Wireless unit. Much less problems. The only catch with any close is to make sure to source a HIGH QUALITY one which is becoming very hard these days.

Also realize that newer vehicles, 2011 and newer (W204, etc.), are becoming harder to diagnose with clone units as Mercedes is closing the ability by requiring more online SCN and FDOK programming. For the cars you mentioned, you shouldn't have an issue unless online SCN coding is required.
Thanks Adam for the information. I'm moving down the acquisition path now and will post results/findings as soon as I get the unit and laptop. I was prepping to call an Exorsist to cleanse my 'possessed' S55! (See my recent W220 thread.)
Cheers,
Jeff
Old 01-26-2013, 12:49 AM

Picked up a unit from Shardul. Good price, reasonable delivery, great quality, and most importantly, the unit worked right out of the shipping box. No fixes needed, no BS, no do-this-to-make-it-work, etc. Plugged it in and away we went.
Cheers,
Jeff