Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine cleaning-noisy lifters

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2013, 10:46 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 MB E430 1998 SL500
Engine cleaning-noisy lifters

What are some good products to clean the lifters? I see that auto-rv (auto-rv.com) is extremely highly rated and actually is the additive that most engine shops use in their expensive treatment. I have a 1999E430 with somewhat noisy lifters (99K miles) for the first 60 seconds of cold start-up. I have also heard that the rocker arms have rubber seals that let loose after a while that can also cause this. My car has always had correct oil changes with high quality oil.
Old 02-10-2013, 09:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Techron

Originally Posted by J spaulding
What are some good products to clean the lifters? I see that auto-rv (auto-rv.com) is extremely highly rated and actually is the additive that most engine shops use in their expensive treatment. I have a 1999E430 with somewhat noisy lifters (99K miles) for the first 60 seconds of cold start-up. I have also heard that the rocker arms have rubber seals that let loose after a while that can also cause this. My car has always had correct oil changes with high quality oil.
Use a few bottles of Techron in your fuel tank and then use it regularly.

What kind of oil and filter do you use? If you can use Mobil 1 0-40 and the MB/Mann fleece filter (or the proper recommended filter), I would. I've hear this combo quiet down some noisy engines including your own 430.

Don't believe these Spxxd channel or domestic web sites. In most cases their engine technology and recommendations are different from ours.
Old 02-10-2013, 12:24 PM

1999 MB E430 1998 SL500
Techron

How does a chemical like this clean lifters since it never comes in contact with the lifters or oiling system. I have never understood that...but I guess it's not impossible.
Old 02-11-2013, 01:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sls(iwish)
our MB shop uses BG MOA
Old 02-11-2013, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G350 Bluetec
Originally Posted by 1badSLS
our MB shop uses BG MOA
BG MOA is not an approved product line by MB corporate. Might as well use Marvel Mystery Oil! One problem with some of these unapproved products is they can raise heck with you emissions system.

Techron and Mobil 1 0-40 are. The Mobil oil has a special additive package that is very good at cleaning and quieting the engine. Techron works in concert with it to clean the entire fuel and intake system including carbon deposits on the valves. Go to the MB web site to find the latest M1 oil for your engine.

Do you trust products by Chevron and Mobil that spend the money to qualify to the MB standards or a company that can't or won't go through this process? If you want to know how Techron works go to their web site.

What version of oil and filter did you use before? If you have noise on cold startup a zero viscosity oil flows very quickly and will help quiet that. You may not need an expensive treatment. The M1 will not interfere with rubber seals.

If they are already leaking, are you using oil between changes?

Last edited by grane; 02-11-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:36 PM

1999 MB E430 1998 SL500
Thanks!

Does M1 at 10-30 weight have any more less capability than M1 0-40 to clean lifters? I am definetely going to use Techron from now on.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

G350 Bluetec
Approved Mobil Oils MB 229.5 spec

Originally Posted by J spaulding
Does M1 at 10-30 weight have any more less capability than M1 0-40 to clean lifters? I am definetely going to use Techron from now on.
M1 10-30 not recommended for your engine!!!!

These are recommended M oils for your engine. If you have noisy lifters the 0 40 (ESP or European Formula) is the way to go. (BTW don't use a 229.51 oil. They are for diesels only. Look on the back of the bottle.)

Mobil 1 0W-40 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
Mobil 1 Arctic 0W-40 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
Mobil 1 Formula M 5W-40 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
Mobil 1 New Life 0W-40 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
Mobil SHC Formula MB 5W-30 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA
Mobil Super 3000 Formula M 5W-30 x Exxon Mobil Corporation, FAIRFAX, Virginia/USA

Last edited by grane; 02-11-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sls(iwish)
Originally Posted by grane
BG MOA is not an approved product line by MB corporate. Might as well use Marvel Mystery Oil! One problem with some of these unapproved products is they can raise heck with you emissions system.

Techron and Mobil 1 0-40 are. The Mobil oil has a special additive package that is very good at cleaning and quieting the engine. Techron works in concert with it to clean the entire fuel and intake system including carbon deposits on the valves. Go to the MB web site to find the latest M1 oil for your engine.

Do you trust products by Chevron and Mobil that spend the money to qualify to the MB standards or a company that can't or won't go through this process? If you want to know how Techron works go to their web site.

What version of oil and filter did you use before? If you have noise on cold startup a zero viscosity oil flows very quickly and will help quiet that. You may not need an expensive treatment. The M1 will not interfere with rubber seals.

If they are already leaking, are you using oil between changes?
i know this is not an approved product by mercedes benz, i do find it quite interesting that over 90% of the mb service shops use bg products! As far as the moa is concerned i have not seen one vehicle come through the shop that has had any type of problems related to this specific additive, I personally dont like additives at all considering the amount of detergents and additives already included in a quality product like mobil 1. I sure do remember the big problem MB had when using BG tranny fluid in their fluid exchange and they had to eat a lot of trannys. Seems as though most of the management is more concerned with getting a bg kickback check than with following an approved mercedes benz products list. The management at our shop makes sure to walk around and have all of the techs hide anything that says bg from our boxes when they know that MBUSA corp. is coming to visit.