Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Source for Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 10:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
1999 MB E430 1998 SL500
Source for Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP

I have looked all over including oil distributors for the above oil. It is still available around the world but possibly not in the US. Amazon sells it on their foreign websites only. 0W-40 is easy to find but the ESP is rare and looks like the only way to get clean lifters. If you visit the Exxon Mobil website they taught the 0W-40 ESP only (not the 5W-40 ESP or the plain 0W-40) as having the tricky chemicals in it. Is there a spot that we can buy it nationally? I can't even find the part number but I can find plenty of pictures of the cans of oil.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
G350 Bluetec
Large retailers carry it - sometimes

Originally Posted by J spaulding
I have looked all over including oil distributors for the above oil. It is still available around the world but possibly not in the US. Amazon sells it on their foreign websites only. 0W-40 is easy to find but the ESP is rare and looks like the only way to get clean lifters. If you visit the Exxon Mobil website they taught the 0W-40 ESP only (not the 5W-40 ESP or the plain 0W-40) as having the tricky chemicals in it. Is there a spot that we can buy it nationally? I can't even find the part number but I can find plenty of pictures of the cans of oil.
Try this link.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/..._1_0W-40.aspx#

In your region it is available in bottles and jugs at O'Reilly auto Part. On the M1 site selector it is just 0-40, don't look for 0-40 European Formula but when you call/visit the store that is the one to buy. If you look at the description on this site this is the one you want and it says (known in US as European Formula).

The 0-40 European Formula is available at Advance Auto Parts as well as some of the regional stores like O'Reilly and even Walmart if you look for it. They run specials from time to time. Members often post the sales on this Forum. Run a search or look at new posts. There should be some spring sales coming up.

I would go to the retailer web sites and call them. It's a good idea to have the pictures of the oil so you make sure you are getting the oil that meets MB Spec 229.5. It will be on the back of the bottle. (You DON'T want a 229.51 oil that is for diesels only!!!)

These sales often add a free M1 oil filter. Not a bad filter but the Mann filter they probably stock is an OEM MB and is cheaper. If you treat the salesperson or manager right they will probably substitute the Mann filter. Make sure that you know the OEM part from your Owner's manual so they can cross reference it with Mann. The last time I bought 0-40 with the filter deal the M1 filter seemed to have the Mann/MB parts number on it and it was fleece with a rigid structure saying made in Germany but I figured I would go with the real thing.

Last edited by grane; 02-20-2013 at 08:04 AM.