Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

turbo wastegate modification for w123 turbo

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 11:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 S550
turbo wastegate modification for w123 turbo

How does one go about increasing boost by altering wastegate parameters in a 84 300TDt.?
Old 08-26-2003, 05:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W204 C300 2010
I am not familiar with the 300td turbo system. But in '84, I believe your system is closed-loop and uses a lamba sensor (oxygen sensor) as feedback to control the amount of fuel delivered to the motor.

At any rate, your wastegate is controlled via a vacuum hose. To delay the wastegate from opening, you can put in a "T" connection with a small needle valve to bleed off some of the vacuum from the wastegate.

You may get lucky, the wastegate control rod may be threaded, you can adjust the length to get more or less boost.

Be careful, make sure you hook up a boost gage, then only increase the boost in small increments.

I had a Porsche 924 turbo, no laughing please, but I played around with the wastegate using the bleed method. If you go too much, you will start popping off vacuum hoses. Use nylon wire ties to prevent them from coming loose. Also, too much boost will cause the car to run too lean (in stock form) and you may start burning valves. I would only increase 2-4 pounds max.
Old 08-27-2003, 01:13 AM

C32AMG
rob_fed...lambda sensors,3-way catalysts and feedback loops for emission controls are only used for gasoline engines,not diesels.
An '84 diesel's only concessions to emissions are PCV and EGR.

bkortho: go to the mbusa.org website and run a search on turbochargers....there should be plenty of info on boost adjustments.Be aware that much over the stock boost level won't increase your power-diesel power is limited by the amount of fuel injected into the cylinder;simply increasing boost doesn't add any more fuel.
Old 08-27-2003, 07:03 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W204 C300 2010
Steve - Thanks for the clarification!
Old 08-28-2003, 12:11 AM

C32AMG
For a quick upgrade

you might try adjusting the ALDA valve.Disabling the EGR will also give a bit more power and reduce smoking,but is "only legal for off-road vehicles",so be advised that you'll **** off the greenies.