Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question about computer and memory loss

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
cl600
question about computer and memory loss

hi, my friend has a 2002 c320 and he recently changed his alternator. then his computer lost all memory and had to be reflashed. he said mechanic said when changing alternator, or battery on mercedes you must put a charger through the cigarette lighter so you don't lose the computer memory and need a reflash. his car wouldn't start and he had to have it towed to the mechanic. i find this very odd! i've personally disconnected my battery multiple times for hours while recharging the battery on my 2004 cl. i've also read about folks disconnecting their batteries for multiple hours to reset the computer. this is the first i've heard about charging the car through the cigarette lighter when disconnecting the battery, or alternator. any validity to this?
Old 07-11-2013, 04:03 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Answer

This is fairly common on (modern) computer controlled cars.

A Google search for "car computer memory saver with 9-volt battery" will show you the special tool needed.

whunter@pelicanparts.com

Old 07-11-2013, 09:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
cl600
i believe that tool is good for radio presets and clock, etc. but my question is if the computer, ecu will lose all memory and have to be reflashed if disconnected from power for a prolonged period, ex. 1 day, 1 week, etc., or will the car run and relearn the driving parameters on it's own over time.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:15 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Answer

Originally Posted by biker349
i believe that tool is good for radio presets and clock, etc. but my question is if the computer, ecu will lose all memory and have to be re-flashed if disconnected from power for a prolonged period, ex. 1 day, 1 week, etc., or will the car run and relearn the driving parameters on it's own over time.
> The tool is made for the ECU, radio and other systems are secondary.
> This tool does NOT charge, it supplies CLEAN / SAFE minimum maintenance voltage for the ECU.

From your description of previous service, your vehicle does not require this tool.
I suggest you consult your Owners Manual for further details.

whunter@pelicanparts.com