Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Input-Survey on Types of Mercedes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 04:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1998 E320
Exclamation Input-Survey on Types of Mercedes

Hello All.

I hope all is well. Here is something, I keep looking but can't find the collective focused opinion.

I have owned only 2 mercedes, 190D and 98 W210 (e320), however, everytime I bought a mercedes, I love the car, engineering.. and I am totally into the car. when I buy lexus, BMW, It just sits there and I am not into the cars, especially Lexus, ( Boring car) I do like BMW, my second choice.

Anyway, I go thru pain owning mercedes, since it is not as reliable as Toyota and Honda. I also have Honda SUV, and believe me I dont even want to sit in it. I just change oil and let others drive it.

I currently have 98 W210 and I love the car, I have fixed lots of things and fixed things not needing attention such as Crankshaft Balancer. The car runs great.

Now here is my question for the survey, I want to buy old Mercedes, since they go for cheap price, no preference.

This will help me and other potential buyers. 1980 thru 1994

1. Which mercedes do you think is most reliable?
2. Which Mercedes has common problems?
3. Which diesel Mercedes is reliable?
4. What number translates into the USA model.. (eg. W210, 140 etc and what year?)
5. How long the good one's last on average, mileage wise?

I read some mercedes had wiring problems, some are trouble, and some are bullet proof engineering.

ALL COMMENTS ARE GREATLY APPECIATED. I look at some long body style MB and they look so classy, I was thinking buying the long body style, maybe Diesel.

PLEASE give model number such as 300 along with W140, so I can compare the prices on E bay etc..

Thanks again.
Old 09-06-2003, 01:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 W163, 84 W123, 03 E39, 98 E39
Re: Input-Survey on Types of Mercedes

QUOTE]Originally posted by Merc1

I want to buy old Mercedes, since they go for cheap price, no preference.

This will help me and other potential buyers. 1980 thru 1994

1. Which mercedes do you think is most reliable?
2. Which Mercedes has common problems?
3. Which diesel Mercedes is reliable?
4. What number translates into the USA model.. (eg. W210, 140 etc and what year?)
5. How long the good one's last on average, mileage wise?

ALL COMMENTS ARE GREATLY APPECIATED. I look at some long body style MB and they look so classy, I was thinking buying the long body style, maybe Diesel.

PLEASE give model number such as 300 along with W140, so I can compare the prices on E bay etc..

Thanks again.
[/QUOTE]

I do my own mantinance and change my engine oil & filter every 5,000 and transmission oil & filter every 30,000 miles. This may be a key to longevity.

My first MB was a 83 240D (W-123) manual transmission. I got 200K mileage out of it before one of the main rear wheel support forks rusted through. As repairing the car cost more than the value I donated it to a charity. This car was bullet-proof. I replaced the clutch plate twice, the clutch piston and activator, alternator and starter motor. It failed to start once in 15 years (other than when the battey needed replacement) in below zero temp in upstate NY.

Second MB was a 84 300D (W-123) which I still have with over 200K miles. Great car. Needed to replace the same part that rusted out on the 240D because of an accident, so insurance paid for it and was about $2,400. Replaced A/C compressor, brushes on alternator and starter motor. No major motor or transmission problems. The climate control monovalve ($50) and the coolant thermostat seem to need replacement rlatively frequently. Great Car.

Had an 86 190D (W-201) got great fuel milage, not as reliable as the W-123 bodys, but lots of little troubles caused me to sell before the factory warranty was up, so I could have the new owner have some coverage before it went out of warranty.

Had a 84 MB 300TD. Bought used 66K kept to 200K+. Great car, same minor problems as the 300D. The rear shocks/load leaveling system went on the fritz. I chose not to fix it. Probably only needed a high pressure hose from the hydraulic pump to the metal hose going to the rear. Car is still on the road and I see it occasionally around.

Would reccomend a 84-85 W-123 based on my past experience. I like the way the W-124 look and I considerd a 94 300D, but as MB dosn't import diesels any more, the person who was selling the car wanted way too much money for it.

Good luck!
Old 09-12-2003, 02:11 PM

2004 C230W
Which older Mercedes to buy?

I would recommend the W123 also. My friend had a 280TE (W123) and it ran for ever.

Another one I would recommend is the W124. My mother had a E320T and this thing ran for ever also with minimal problems.

Good luck with your search

Jun
Old 09-12-2003, 02:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bantha
I vote for a 1982 240D...my best friend had this car in highschool and it ran for ever..........just my 2cents
Old 06-07-2011, 08:26 AM

e300D e3204matic
Smile Go Diesel

1987 300D W124 is good

Stay away from any 350 engine types like 1991 350SDL W126