Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CLK55 2001 Turn key, click, no start.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 07:02 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
2008 E320 Bluetec
CLK55 2001 Turn key, click, no start.

Greetings friends.
I'm putting this here for a FYI. I searched the threads and did not find my answer to the problem so I thought this might help another.

My 55 was running fine and after a errand I turned the key to start and it clicked once under the hood and would not crank over. Then going from run to crank position again there was no sound.
Then when I returned it to the off position it locked the key on the off position and would not let me turn it again until I removed the key and re- inserted it.
Then the same thing happened again and again.
I jump start seemed to do nothing at first..

The problem and solution was a bad connection at the positive battery terminal. Resulting in a run down battery and unable to jump start due to insufficient amperage through the jumper cables alone. Upon cleaning the terminal and jumping it, it started rite up and charged good at 13.95 volts. Just as an added extra(no extra charge) The way I found it was while jumper cables were in place and power from the other car was applied, I put a meter on the battery post and the cable end itself and there was a .85 volt difference telling me that it was a bad connection between the post and the cable end.
Hope this helps someone someday, and thanks to everyone who so often give of their time and expertise to help us all on this site.

God Bless, Kevin