Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel gauge

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fuel gauge

My fuel gauge is sitting on 0.

My AMG instrument cluster readout for fuel used and fuel remaining and distance remaining is sitting at 0.

I am able to guess at how much fuel I have used by looking at the IC readout for mpg and total miles traveled.

My first instinct is to go through the fusebox(es) and make sure that there are no blown fuses (maybe a fuse for the fuel sender unit?).

However, I am the new, proud owner of a SteveK (mbenzNL) upgrade to my car, including TV in motion. Will indiscriminate pulling of fuses kill any of the settings that were set with the magic computer?

Is the fuse method the wrong first diagnostic step?

rob
Old 11-13-2003, 01:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

In the market
Have you filled you tank since your fuel gauge started having this problem? The fuel gauge on my C240 did the same thing. I normally just put in 10 or 15 bucks when I get gas and that never changed anything. One day I decided to go ahead a fill the tank all the way and everything returned to normal when I started the engine.

Just a thought...
Old 11-14-2003, 01:39 AM

Originally posted by Brunelleschi
Have you filled you tank since your fuel gauge started having this problem? The fuel gauge on my C240 did the same thing. I normally just put in 10 or 15 bucks when I get gas and that never changed anything. One day I decided to go ahead a fill the tank all the way and everything returned to normal when I started the engine.

Just a thought...
Yes, I have filled since then, one time. I will try again, being sure to fill it all the way, maybe a little bit more. Thanks for the idea, I will try it.

rob
Old 11-14-2003, 06:04 PM
Almost a Member!

1996 E320
I had the same problem on my "E" - fuel gauge just stopped working one day. I was bummed.
Two or three weeks later it just started working again.
Can't explain it.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by rp718
I had the same problem on my "E" - fuel gauge just stopped working one day. I was bummed.
Two or three weeks later it just started working again.
Can't explain it.
I suppose you refuled during this time? Normally, I have to get fuel once every week.

rob
Old 11-16-2003, 08:40 PM

02 W163, 84 W123, 03 E39, 98 E39
Similar Problem

Had a problem w/ 97 W202 where after I would fill up, the gas gauge would drop to zero within 15 min/miles. First time this happened I thought I had a busted gas line and I was pumping gas out onto the highway.

Occasionaly the gauge would read zero. Turning the car off, cracking open the gas cap, replacing, turning car back on would temp solve the problem.

Car was Starmarked, so dealer ended up replacing one of the two fuel level sending/sensing units in gas tank.

Solved problem.

p.s. I am told that the fuel sensor closest to the filler neck is the one that checks to see if the gas cap is left off and is the one that makes the CEL come on. FYI

<sph17>

Last edited by sph17; 11-16-2003 at 08:42 PM.
Old 11-17-2003, 02:14 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Rob, mail me...

greetingz,