Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with engine code

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 07:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1998 C230
Help with engine code

Well one day I ran my car really really low on gas. It was probably running on the fumes thats how low it was. Well, I filled it up and the next day the engine check light came on. The code is:

P0170 Fuel Trim Malfunction (Bank 1) ) check vaccum leaks first

Can somebody help me out? I looked at the lines...but what am I suppose to be looking for? I heard air can get in the lines or something?
Old 11-16-2003, 04:28 PM

1998 C230
also....what does bank 1 mean?
Old 11-16-2003, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UCF21
where did u get ur car diagnosed? how much did it cost? i think im having similar problems
Old 11-16-2003, 11:37 PM

1998 C230
Well...my brother works at Kragen auto part store and one of his co-workers has the diagnostic tool. I'm actually not a new member...I've been on for awhile, but ever since it was down and got back up I've had to reregister. Now this brings me to my point, another member on here a little while back told me you can get a engine code reader from ebay and it works great. Its universal.....just go to ebay and type: code reader, fault....some words like that. Its like 46 bucks...supposedly workds reallly good and its very easy to use.

Also, when the check light is on the car has no power, it doesnt move at all, the transmissions shifts kinda funny. Does your's do that too?