Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Winter question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 09:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Winter question

hey all,
Now, I know when you start driving after you started up the car, your suppose to be gentle until the car is fully warmed up. BUT, in the winter, going out my driveway can sometimes be tricky when there is snow out there and I get stuck, so I have to rock back and forth with high revs to get the car unstuck...all of this within 5 minutes of starting the car.

Is this bad for the engine? I always take it easy until the temp guage registers, but this isn't the case in the winter...so what should I do? Thanks.

-G-
Old 11-17-2003, 01:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 S 600
As long as you have synthetic oil in the engine you'll be just fine.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Originally posted by MercManiac
Nope, no syn oil. '94, I'm using Castrol good old dino oil. Dealer said with the age of engine, the syn oil may find tiny places to leak out of (if there are seeps or cracks) because the oil is so thin...but if i let it warm up for a lil, should be ok?

-G-
Old 11-18-2003, 12:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

a car that can't do the throttle reset.
Originally posted by MercManiac
cool... just curious but why does synthetics make a difference in that situation, thanks.
Old 11-18-2003, 09:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ahopeter
cool... just curious but why does synthetics make a difference in that situation, thanks.
Synthetic oils don't thicken nearly as much as regular oils in cold temperatures. Therefore, it is much easier for the oil pump to pick it up out of the sump and distribute it through the engine immediately after the engine is started.
Old 12-06-2003, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320 2000
Red face Suggestion from snow country

Take 5 - 7 more minutes to warm your car before going out in winter ( particularly if it is cold) and by all means don't rock your car at high revs. I'd worry about the drive train rather than the engine.

Take it from a guy who grew up in Buffalo -- rock slowly and when in doubt shovel under the car! Keep some bags of water softener salt in the trunk if the roads aren't kept clear in the winter or if you get stuck. Weight and traction. Be sure to keep the salt well contained and get it out of the car as soon as spring starts.