Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel System Maintenance

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e320 2000
Fuel System Maintenance

On a different thread I asked about some steps to take when pulling a car off the road for a northern winter.

Reading through some manuals I noted that there is a fuel accumulator next to the fuel filter.

What does the fuel accumulator do for the 420 SEL and what is its change out interval?

Any tips on 4 month cold storage for a 420SEL?
Old 12-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
modern petrol decomposes after 30 days and the fuel can form a sludge which can completely screw your fuel system. I knew somebody who collects jags, and he left petrol in one of his e types. As the petrol went foul, he had to send the car back to XK engineering to remove the caramel sludge from his petrol tank, lines etc etc. Very costly. So he used to run the cars completely dry of fuel before letting them sit. He also had climate controled tents over his more precious jags. These where basically tents which covered the car, with fans blowing air throughout the tent to stop rusting from occuring (garages with stale air are bad for rust formation). Beyond that he used to take them for a big run before putting them to sleep.

dont if that helps, but its what Jag man did.

cheers