Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

m278 fault

Old 02-24-2014, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ghibli SQ4
m278 fault

I was cruising and suddenly the CEL started blinking, got a huge misfire nd stopped the car.

Now when you start it its missifiring all the time, and sometimes you can hear the timing chain (maybe) on the right head for 2-4 seconds.

Scanned it and Got all this codes.

p2088 intake cam sensor short to ground
p1047 camshaft position actuator, exhaust right rear, circuit malfunction
b0803 transmission shift mode indicator circuit low
p0007 fuel shutoff valve A control circuit high
P00AA intake air temp sensor 1 circuit bank 2
p0520 oil pressure sensor circuit malfunction

Don't know if it could be because I flashed the ecu or maybe im not getting enough voltage on that side etc..

If anyone can help me I would be very thankfull
Old 02-27-2014, 02:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c 63 amg est
hi have you tryed to clear all faults and re start what fault do you get
take battery lead of for 5 mins and try again
Old 03-16-2015, 12:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 R350 & 2012 CLS550
Any updates; may be having same problem?

I posted a similar issue under another thread in this forum.

Had a significant misfire with pretty good vibration through the car. Been at the shop for 3 weeks. Injectors, coil packs, engine wiring harness and an O2 sensor replaced to date but no joy. A "TAC" case (or maybe "TEC") has been opened and I'm now in contact with MBUSA. Everyone has been courteous and professional but they've yet to find a solution. My confidence in the product in falling by the day.

Any luck or insights from your incident?

Thanks,
Eric
Old 03-16-2015, 09:18 AM

Ghibli SQ4
The problem I had was with the ECU's signal to 1 of the cam sensors, if I unplugged the cam sensor the car worked fine, which at the end was a burnt ECU, I replaced it and that was the whole problem, think it was 1k for parts and labor.

I dont know how you are scanning the car but you should definately scan it with a Xentry which is OEM mercedes, its the only way with this problems and is how I found my problem.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:12 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 R350 & 2012 CLS550
msr1 - thanks for the reply. Got the car back and in short, they replaced all the injectors with an updated model. It appears the originals leaked and/or were prone to leaking, which corroded the wiring harness. The leaking fuel also caused a couple of coil packs, seals and an O2 sensor to be replaced as well. Seems fine for the moment and thanks again for your input!

Best,
Eric
The following users liked this post:
funkypost (02-26-2020)
Old 01-17-2016, 08:48 AM

C63 AMG W204 SOLD: CL55 AMG V8 Kompressor E55 W211/CLS63 W219
Originally Posted by msr1
The problem I had was with the ECU's signal to 1 of the cam sensors, if I unplugged the cam sensor the car worked fine, which at the end was a burnt ECU, I replaced it and that was the whole problem, think it was 1k for parts and labor.

I dont know how you are scanning the car but you should definately scan it with a Xentry which is OEM mercedes, its the only way with this problems and is how I found my problem.

Hi! I have a question for you. I have a E63 with enginge M157 (M278) V8TT

I have a issue with the car, all started when i bought it. I was driving home and the eninge lamp started.. So i came home and i had one fault code. The code was P0304 CAMSHAFT SENSOR BANK 2 SENSOR B. So i called MB. Bought the sensor for like 60 $.. I opend the hood and wanted to replace it.. I found all the four sensors and guess what... Sensor B Bank 2 was there but not inpluged!!?? Someone has unpluged it.. I was so happy i thougt that was the problem. I took the old one out, put the new, reset the fault code and it was gone!! BUT then 3 ned fault codes came up P0017, P0018 and P0019....

Could it be the same issue that you had? That someone before me knew that the ECU is faulty and just unpluged one of the sensors so the car runs ok??

Becouse the car is running perfectly...

Hope you can help me

P0017 - CRANKSHAFT POSITION - CAMSHAFT POSITION CORRELATION (BANK 2 SENSOR A)

P0018 - CRANKSHAFT POSITION - CAMSHAFT POSITION CORRELATION (BANK 1 SENSOR B)

P0019 - CRANKSHAFT POSITION - CAMSHAFT POSITION CORRELATION (BANK 2 SENSOR B)

Hope you can help me
Old 01-18-2016, 08:32 AM

Ghibli SQ4
The only way you can check if you ahve a bad ECU is with a Xentry diagnostics which is the OEM for Mercedes. Otherwise you will be guessing since it wont take you thru the repair procedure.

Now if you car was tuned, it could be highly possible this is your problem, since they have to force open the ECU and that could affect some circuits in it.
Old 01-18-2016, 08:37 AM

C63 AMG W204 SOLD: CL55 AMG V8 Kompressor E55 W211/CLS63 W219
Originally Posted by msr1
The only way you can check if you ahve a bad ECU is with a Xentry diagnostics which is the OEM for Mercedes. Otherwise you will be guessing since it wont take you thru the repair procedure.

Now if you car was tuned, it could be highly possible this is your problem, since they have to force open the ECU and that could affect some circuits in it.
Okey.. I do not have that type of diagnostic.. I have autocom.

Well, yes the car is tuned and i have checked the outside of the ecu and i see that someone has been there before me..

But if Mercedes change mine ECU how can i "save" the tune?