Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

w210 weird noise????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 12:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sean's Sister--
w210 weird noise????

a fellow member posted this, wanna know what some of you might think of this problem..i have it too..

97 E320 screetching noise when on the accelortator not on braking
another issue we cant figure out is when im driving i hear like a small screetching / whistling sound ONLY when my foot is on the accelorator not when braking or coasting ONLY when im on the accelorator and it happens when im going between 20/mph and 40/mph after that either it does not make the sound or i just cant hear it. its hard for me to hear because i have to be close to or driving by objects so the sound will echo/bounce back to me. but its annoying and slightly embarasing. any idea's
Old 12-03-2003, 06:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds like a fan belt

It certainly sounds like a belt is loose and is slipping a bit on one or all of the pulleys. Another possibility is that the tension is fine but that the belt is glazed and hardened causing the noise.

If you want to check this get some belt dressing at a local parts store and spray the belt, it will be a temporary cure but if that works then you will have found the offending part.

Good Luck,

JR
Old 12-03-2003, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
when i just had the car serviced all the belts in the car were changed.... any other ideas
Old 12-04-2003, 06:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Still sounds like a belt driven issue

Just curious, did the problem start just after the service?

Anyway, if it's not the belt then perhaps it's one of the pulleys or the idler/tensioners. I have seen people use a mist of water on them to see if the silence for a brief period when wet. This avoids using any kind of lubricants on the front of the engine that could cause other problems. A simple empy spray bottle set to mist very lightly is usually enough, and spray when the engine is off (obviously) so as not to injure yourself.

JR
Old 12-04-2003, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sean's Sister--
no the problem was there before the service , i'll see what happens