Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the CLS 550 & CLS 63 electronic parts interchangeable?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS63
Question Is the CLS 550 & CLS 63 electronic parts interchangeable?

Hello All,

This is my first post here and would like to get some insight from you guys experts. I scanned through the forums and didn't find a post that touches on the subject I am raising. So here is the deal:

I have a 2012 CLS 63 AMG and had the main electric wiring bust due to a bad attempt by my brother to charge his car. I don't what went wrong but after we tow it to the dealer they said I have to change all electrical components ( control units, etc) + the main wiring. The charge was huge and ofcourse warranty doesn't cover it . So i decided to check in the market for replacement parts.

Unfortunately there is not much CLS 63 around to get used parts from. So my question is can I use CLS 550 or CLS 500 parts. Now the concern arises cause one of the electric shops mentioned that 63 and the others have different components, so it will not work. Is this true?

I am really stuck and I want my car back up and running, its been like this for 4 months now. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Sami
Old 05-29-2014, 06:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 310 Likes on 228 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by Vimtoon
Hello All,

This is my first post here and would like to get some insight from you guys experts. I scanned through the forums and didn't find a post that touches on the subject I am raising. So here is the deal:

I have a 2012 CLS 63 AMG and had the main electric wiring bust due to a bad attempt by my brother to charge his car. I don't what went wrong but after we tow it to the dealer they said I have to change all electrical components ( control units, etc) + the main wiring. The charge was huge and ofcourse warranty doesn't cover it . So i decided to check in the market for replacement parts.

Unfortunately there is not much CLS 63 around to get used parts from. So my question is can I use CLS 550 or CLS 500 parts. Now the concern arises cause one of the electric shops mentioned that 63 and the others have different components, so it will not work. Is this true?

I am really stuck and I want my car back up and running, its been like this for 4 months now. Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
Sami
Some parts are the same and others are different. Some (like the SAMs) might need to be flashed with the version of software to match your VIN because it needs to "know" what options you have. Others, like the ECU need to be coded with your VIN and then flashed, using a secure network connection to a Mercedes database in Germany. These are not jobs for the untrained.

It's hard to believe that everything is blown. I can believe a SAM or two, but all control units and wiring harnesses. What did he do, hook you up to 480 volt three-phase power?