Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Topsider?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
88 Mercedes 300E
Topsider?

Where can I find a Topsider Oil Extraction device for cheap?
Old 04-10-2003, 01:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 : 2007 C230
I got mine at http://www.overtons.com/
Old 04-10-2003, 05:16 PM

E500 Sport
I bought mine at http://www.griotsgarage.com

Two models to choose from. Hand pump or connected to an air compressor. I have the latter and it works GREAT. The unit also comes with an adaptor to bleed brakes. Mark
Old 04-11-2003, 03:24 AM

I picked up my Topsider from Boat US in their actual store. You can check them out online at:

http://www.boatus-store.com/webapp/w...roductId=27074
Old 04-11-2003, 12:13 PM

2003 C320 4Matic
Gets all the oil out???

Hi, all.

I've seen lots of folks using this, but does it actually get all the oil out and most of the "crud"? Doesn't it leave behind 1/2-1+ quarts still in the engine?
Old 04-11-2003, 12:27 PM

C32AMG
Actually,you get a bit more out using suction instead of draining oil via the drain plug.Unless you're changing oil far too infrequently,all the suspended solids depart with the oil...the reason your oil darkens over time isn't simply "aging":it's just doing it's job by trapping contaminants that need to be removed with the oil.
Old 04-11-2003, 12:39 PM

2003 C320 4Matic
Originally posted by Steve Clark
Actually,you get a bit more out using suction instead of draining oil via the drain plug.Unless you're changing oil far too infrequently,all the suspended solids depart with the oil...the reason your oil darkens over time isn't simply "aging":it's just doing it's job by trapping contaminants that need to be removed with the oil.
Good point about the suspension of contaminants. I can see this being useful if you have a car relatively new (.5-1 year). Definitely great for in between maintenance changes.

What if you've owned your car for more time than that and have kept to the German manufacturer's long interval between changes? Might there be some grit/sludge at the bottom of the pan? So you know if the Topsider will get these out? Is it actually recirculating this back through your engine?
Old 04-11-2003, 03:54 PM

C32AMG
Most car's drain plugs are slightly elevated and/or angled so that they won't be wiped off the pan if you have a momentary ground clearance problem.My 300TD drains better if I raise the front of the car 4",as the drain bung is on the rear of the pan,just off the bottom.I've seen very few cars that didn't use a similar means to protect the drain plug.
The oil extraction method gets out even more, with a lot less effort.This same 300TD has 258K miles on it.I've changed oil & filter about every4K or so.Head's never been off,and it is clean under the valve cover.(BLACK,but clean).
Newer cars,like my C32,have drain plugs tucked behind belly pans,and you can't crawl under the car,so you need a lift in order to drain the oil.It's a 15 minute drip-free job if you use suction.
Unless someone's been really abusive in prior oil maintenance, there shouldn't BE any internal grit/sludge to speak of.All those detergents and other additives keep such crud in suspension until
you drain/suck it out.If a hard bit is in there,it'll usually wind up just bumping around in the sump a bit before being filtered out by the oil-pump pickup screen or the oil filter itself.Stick to sane oil/filter change intervals,and it all becomes a non-problem.
Lastly,if you suspect the engine's internals are sludged,dirty or whatever,the best cure is several oil and filter changes at very short intervals.
Old 04-11-2003, 04:27 PM

2003 C320 4Matic
Most car's drain plugs are slightly elevated and/or angled so that they won't be wiped off the pan if you have a momentary ground clearance problem.My 300TD drains better if I raise the front of the car 4",as the drain bung is on the rear of the pan,just off the bottom.I've seen very few cars that didn't use a similar means to protect the drain plug.
The oil extraction method gets out even more, with a lot less effort.This same 300TD has 258K miles on it.I've changed oil & filter about every4K or so.Head's never been off,and it is clean under the valve cover.(BLACK,but clean).
Newer cars,like my C32,have drain plugs tucked behind belly pans,and you can't crawl under the car,so you need a lift in order to drain the oil.It's a 15 minute drip-free job if you use suction.
Unless someone's been really abusive in prior oil maintenance, there shouldn't BE any internal grit/sludge to speak of.All those detergents and other additives keep such crud in suspension until
you drain/suck it out.If a hard bit is in there,it'll usually wind up just bumping around in the sump a bit before being filtered out by the oil-pump pickup screen or the oil filter itself.Stick to sane oil/filter change intervals,and it all becomes a non-problem.
Lastly,if you suspect the engine's internals are sludged,dirty or whatever,the best cure is several oil and filter changes at very short intervals.
Good advice. Thank you. So, just so that I am clear on what you are saying, the topsider extraction method does ot require any lifting of the car to get the majority of oil and contaminents out?

Ordinarily w/o using a topsider device and using a lift, my shop guy will put the car on a lift, drain the oil via the plug, close the plug, place 1 quart of fresh oil in the car, run the car for a minute, drain that oil, replace the filter, and add fresh oil.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:01 PM

E500 Sport
Yes, NO Lift!

On my E500, it holds 8 gt's of oil. With the topsider, I "suck" out 8 qt's of oil. Also the Oil Filter in located on the top front of the engine. When you pull it out it lets all the oil drain to the sump/bottom of the pan. You get every drop!.... Also, if the filter is doing it's job, there won't be any metal in the oil. What little microscopic metal there would be, it is suspended in the oil. And since the oil should be hot when you change it, that means you just had the engine running, so it's not on the bottom of the pan. And since "most" of the engine is alum. vs. cast iron, it's "soft" metal. the Cyl. Sleeves are cast iron. Mark
Old 04-11-2003, 10:07 PM

C32AMG
That's pretty much all there is to it.No lifting,and no drips either if you're careful..just don't try to extract the oil when it's really hot:the plastic may soften.Also,a lot (all?) of recent MBZ engines are sleeveless-the blocks are hard enough that the pistons run directly in the bores after proper machining.
Old 04-12-2003, 11:12 AM

2003 C320 4Matic
Great. I like the idea that you are able to get all the oil out with the topsider without having to tilt the car. It was concerning me for a bit when I thought that's what you were saying.

This will certainly beat taking it to someone and having to wait for a lift. Or even better, not having to get under the car.

It's been a decade since I used to change my own oil. Do the local gas stations still willingly take your used oil without charging you?
Old 04-12-2003, 12:47 PM

C32AMG
If there's any sort of recycling area near you,it should have a dedicated oil drop.I usually put my old oil into 1 gallon plastic milk jugs or use the now-empty oil containers.It's also an option to return the old oil to wherever you purchased the new stuff.A local
gas station might take it as a courtesy to you.
And the raising of my car's front is only for getting more out via the drainplug;it's actually called for in several manuals...you're simply tilting the entire car in order to effectively lower the drain plug exit and drain the pan better.
Just go ahead and buy one...after the first time you use it,the only question will be why you didn't do it this way a long time ago.
If you're doing an oil change on a more recent MBZ that has a small paper oil filter at the left front corner of the block,the oil filter hole is the best place to pour put oil back in.It's a much bigger opening than the one on the valve cover.
Old 04-12-2003, 02:23 PM

2003 C320 4Matic
If there's any sort of recycling area near you,it should have a dedicated oil drop.I usually put my old oil into 1 gallon plastic milk jugs or use the now-empty oil containers.It's also an option to return the old oil to wherever you purchased the new stuff.A local
gas station might take it as a courtesy to you.
And the raising of my car's front is only for getting more out via the drainplug;it's actually called for in several manuals...you're simply tilting the entire car in order to effectively lower the drain plug exit and drain the pan better.
Just go ahead and buy one...after the first time you use it,the only question will be why you didn't do it this way a long time ago.
If you're doing an oil change on a more recent MBZ that has a small paper oil filter at the left front corner of the block,the oil filter hole is the best place to pour put oil back in.It's a much bigger opening than the one on the valve cover.
Thanks for all the info and the tip.
Old 04-19-2003, 03:13 PM

1996 E320
Just wanted to add that according to my understanding most MB dealers never drain the oil from the bottom drain plug. They suck it out from the top also through the dipstick hole.

Used the Topsider once so far and seems to do a good job.
Old 04-20-2003, 07:29 PM

ill continue to use the drain plug, it doesnt take all that long to do only like 10 minutes or so. as for the oil turning dark, this has to do with the combustion process and using fossil fuels. if you drained the oil out of a natiral gas vehicle it will look brand new even though it has thousands of miles on it. just because the oil is dirty does not mean that it has lost any of its lubricating properties. i personally change my oil every 25000 or 1 year which ever comes first and have never had a problem. i sold my 90 integra with over 300,000 miles on it and it to never had any part of the engine replaced or pulled apart. of course i always use synthetic oil in my car.
Old 12-06-2003, 08:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Only the boatus-store has an item called a topsider that I could find. At the other sites, especially the one with the compressor version, is there another name for it?