Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto gearbox

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-03-2014, 06:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220cdi coupe
Auto gearbox

Hi, I have a 2002 c220 cdi coupe with an autobox,it has 120000 miles on the clock,and has just started to find a false neutral,when accelerating to overtake something or just to speed up,it doesnt do it very often maybe once or twice a week at the most,I have read a few forums with false neutrals,but nothing seems to be like what i experience,the loss of drive does come back within 20 seconds,can any body give me any advice please.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 314 Likes on 232 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Originally Posted by gsm1972
Hi, I have a 2002 c220 cdi coupe with an autobox,it has 120000 miles on the clock,and has just started to find a false neutral,when accelerating to overtake something or just to speed up,it doesnt do it very often maybe once or twice a week at the most,I have read a few forums with false neutrals,but nothing seems to be like what i experience,the loss of drive does come back within 20 seconds,can any body give me any advice please.
I assume you're describing the transmission slipping. It just revs and doesn't engage the gear right away. It's most likely one of the many clutch packs in the transmission burnt out. They have friction material like brake pads that get worn. That's the way automatic transmissions fail.

If that's what it is, it's time for a transmission overhaul. It will only get worse.
Old 06-04-2014, 02:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220cdi coupe
Thanks