Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Main Inspection Performed on Time?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2014, 05:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E Class 270 Avantgarde
Main Inspection Performed on Time?

I have an E270 Avantgarde. Regular servicing carried out (Non merc dealer). I just had a service carried out in November 2013. Today the Malfunction light flagged up "Main Inspection Performed on Time?".

I took the car to my usual garage who advised the car needs the "Main" Service done, which I find I a bit odd considering I've just had one not long ago. Can anyone offer any advice on this on whether this is right please?
Old 07-02-2014, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 110 Likes on 101 Posts
2008 CLK550 Cab
I've never heard of that message before - you must be across the pond. But if a "main inspection" is an oil change and other basic service, then I'd say whoever did it in 2013 did not reset the counter. The car was not "told" it was already done, so it thinks it still needs to be done. Either that or "main inspection" is different than what you had done last fall.
Old 07-02-2014, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E500
Your profile doesn't say where you are, or what year your car is, but "Avantgarde" and "E270" indicate you likely aren't in the US. If you don't have an Owner's Manual you can probably download something close enough from http://www.mbusa.com/mercedes/servic...owners_manuals or from a similar source closer to you. If you do have an Owner's Manual, I expect it will be similar to the one for my 2004 E500.

In my manual you would look for the Flexible Service System PLUS section under Maintenance in the Operation section, and go to the "Setting the date for special works" subsection. Once you are in the SPECIAL WORKS menu you can change the dates for the General Inspection and Exhaust Gas Analysis to the appropriate dates in the future. If you are not required to have a periodic inspection (for safety) or exhaust gas analysis (for pollution) you can simply change the month and year to zero. That is how my car came from the factory, and I have never had any messages show up for these inspections.

If you aren't required to have the inspections, your non-Merc dealer garage may not have even looked at the special works display, especially if the malfunction light was not showing at the time. However, it shouldn't be a problem, since it's something you can easily fix yourself.