Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake pedal vibration on w211

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 09:55 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 E350 Sport
brake pedal vibration on w211

Every once in a while when I put my foot on the brakes, i feel vibration, as if something inside the system is moving. it seems to come on randomly and during various driving conditions (fast, slow, braking hard, or light, etc.). Initially, i thought it was ABS, or that brake pad drying feature, but it seems to also take place when the road is perfectly dry. Anyone else seen this? I have a service appointment in a couple of weeks, but i'm afraid it won't happen during the test drive. It's an '04 E320 with 400 miles. Thanks in advance.

--
Old 12-19-2003, 02:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL500
Could be just the SBC pump re-pressurising the system. The new E replaces the old vacuum assistance with an electronically controlled high pressure hydraulic system. I've read somewhere that you can sometimes feel a vibration when the pump is running.
Old 12-20-2003, 03:02 PM

Does it vibrate when slowing down?
If yes, you may have bad front rotors. A bulletin JUST came out addressing this. Special rotors that have thicker metal [smaller vent between them] to allow more heat transfer.
Old 12-20-2003, 03:13 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 E350 Sport
it doesn't feel like that kind of vibration... it's more of a feeling of something getting recharged (like something is getting pumped into the system). i realize i'm not doing a good job explaining this :-)
Old 12-20-2003, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts
Porcelain Bus
Re: brake pedal vibration on w211

Originally posted by indus
Every once in a while when I put my foot on the brakes, i feel vibration, as if something inside the system is moving. it seems to come on randomly and during various driving conditions (fast, slow, braking hard, or light, etc.). Initially, i thought it was ABS, or that brake pad drying feature, but it seems to also take place when the road is perfectly dry. Anyone else seen this? I have a service appointment in a couple of weeks, but i'm afraid it won't happen during the test drive. It's an '04 E320 with 400 miles. Thanks in advance.

--
The brake pedal on the W211 will give no feedback whatsoever since the car has electronic braking. The pedal is a self contained unit that is connected to the control unit under the hood by a wire. The pedal resistence increases as the spring rate on the pedal increases. The vibration you may be completely unrelated to the brakes.

Last edited by Dr Chill; 12-20-2003 at 03:18 PM.
Old 12-20-2003, 04:25 PM

Originally posted by Karl
Does it vibrate when slowing down?
If yes, you may have bad front rotors. A bulletin JUST came out addressing this. Special rotors that have thicker metal [smaller vent between them] to allow more heat transfer.
I am not aware of any such bulletin, can you tell me more about it?
Old 12-20-2003, 08:26 PM

If I go by work tomorrow, I will get a copy of the bulletin. Other wise it will be Monday evening.
Old 12-21-2003, 03:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There is a bulletin out that deals with this pedal vibration issue. The cause of the vibration is the SBC system building up pressure. The dealer can perform a modification to eliminate the vibration. It doesn't take long. Just ask your service advisor or shop foreman about it.
Old 12-21-2003, 03:54 PM

Originally posted by Petmerctech
There is a bulletin out that deals with this pedal vibration issue. The cause of the vibration is the SBC system building up pressure. The dealer can perform a modification to eliminate the vibration. It doesn't take long. Just ask your service advisor or shop foreman about it.
I am well informed about that and have tons of information of all kinds about what can be done for different kinds of noise produced by the SBC-system, but I want to know about the bulletin concerning pedal vibration AND bad rotors!
Old 12-22-2003, 05:45 AM

indus - My E500 does the exact same thing. Randomly, I feel the brake pedal vibrate for about 3-5 seconds and it goes away. I think Petmerctech is correct.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:55 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 E350 Sport
Petmerctech, thanks for the info. That's exactly what it feels like - as if there is an air compressor building up pressure. If you could provide the specific bulletin information, it would be awesome. If not - not a big deal.
Old 12-22-2003, 09:39 PM

The bulletin on the new rotors is P-B-42.10/33 dated Dec 18, 2003. It starts out "If you receive customer reports in the above model vehicles of front wheel brake shudder during braking,..." keep in mind some people don't know the difference between brake shudder and pedal vibration. We deal every day with customers that won't or can't read an owners manual, or think that 'tire pressure control' will maintain the tire pressure [YES, this happens at least once a week!!], or can't understand why the dome light works in the garage but not out in the driveway during the day!
Old 12-22-2003, 09:42 PM

I tried to attach the bulletin but I could not..... it was rejected because it was over 1 byte. I tried to scan it as low as I can. It is 93KB.
If anyone wants it, I can pmail it. My address is aufever@prodigy.net
Old 12-23-2003, 08:28 PM

I reviewed the bulletin today, indus. What the modification consists of is the addition of a pulsation dampener inline with the suction line of the SBC system. It is then wrapped in felt material to prevent any vibration against surrounding components. This involves cutting a length of hose from the suction line to facilitate room for the pulsation dampener. After the modification, the brake system is bled with the SDS. The whole process should take approximately one hour.
Old 12-23-2003, 10:51 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 E350 Sport
Petmerctech, thank you very much. Do you recommend that I get it done, is it too intrusive a procedure to get rid of a relatively minor annoyance?
Old 12-23-2003, 11:03 PM

Well that is a question that only you can answer. The modification isn't mandatory. It's just a solution to solve complaints from customers concerning the vibration caused by the SBC system pressurizing, which is normal. The modification certainly won't hurt anything. How annoying is it to you? If it were me, I'd have the modification performed. Now as to why MB didn't engineer this vibration out, I'm guessing it's for cost reasons or lack of development time. Also, I feel that the 211 was rushed to the market, with all the bulletins dealing with corrective measures on many issues.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:03 AM

So far 2 people have pmailed me for a copy of the rotor bulletin.
It surprised me that patrick was not one of them.....
If anyone has a website I could send it to, let me know.

On another subject, I noticed no one has mentioned the seat belt buckle recall that affects 203, 209, 211's. It only involves 9400 204 cars. I have had to fix 4 that we had in stock. Brand new recall, the info will not be officially released until after the 1st of the year.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:18 PM

I understated the time needed to perform the SBC modification in my previous post. The time needed is approximately two hours, not one hour.
Old 12-25-2003, 05:51 AM

I reviewed the bulletin today, indus. What the modification consists of is the addition of a pulsation dampener inline with the suction line of the SBC system. It is then wrapped in felt material to prevent any vibration against surrounding components. This involves cutting a length of hose from the suction line to facilitate room for the pulsation dampener. After the modification, the brake system is bled with the SDS. The whole process should take approximately one hour.
Do you have a bulletin about bad rotors and pedal vibration, or was it a misunderstanding?
Old 12-25-2003, 01:14 PM

Misunderstanding? No, it is DTB P-B-42.10/33 dated Dec 18, 2003.
It affects models 230.475 up to 04/30/2003 production, 220.170/175 up to 05/31/2003 production [except code 979], 215.375 up to 05/31/2003, and 211.065/070 up to 04/30/2003 [except code 979].
"If you receive customer reports in the above model vehicles of front wheel brake shudder during braking, replace the brake disks with revised parts. Brake disks may only be replaced in pairs.
NOTE: The brake shudder is the result of excessive thermal loads on the brake disk. The revised brake disks have a smaller cooling duct and therefore greater heat storage capacity"

I guess the misunderstanding here is that I thought you guys wanted the latest technical info from MB. But it appears like all you want is fluff BS like what color and options look the best or who gives the best service. I will keep my mouth shut and let you guys go back to discussing which dealer gave you a better wash job or put and extra mile or two on the roadtest.
Old 12-25-2003, 02:16 PM

It affects models 230.475 up to 04/30/2003 production, 220.170/175 up to 05/31/2003 production [except code 979], 215.375 up to 05/31/2003, and 211.065/070 up to 04/30/2003 [except code 979].
"If you receive customer reports in the above model vehicles of front wheel brake shudder during braking, replace the brake disks with revised parts. Brake disks may only be replaced in pairs.
NOTE: The brake shudder is the result of excessive thermal loads on the brake disk. The revised brake disks have a smaller cooling duct and therefore greater heat storage capacity"

I guess the misunderstanding here is that I thought you guys wanted the latest technical info from MB. But it appears like all you want is fluff BS like what color and options look the best or who gives the best service. I will keep my mouth shut and let you guys go back to discussing which dealer gave you a better wash job or put and extra mile or two on the roadtest.
Because also "non-SBC"-models like 215/220 are affected it has absolutely nothing to do with the SBC-system.

I was curious about that bulletin because first it seemed to contain information about problems with the SBC-system that I was not aware of, but it did not.

The misunderstanding is that these two postings were not about one and the same bulletin:

Originally posted by Karl Does it vibrate when slowing down?
Old 12-25-2003, 08:30 PM

Who ever mentioned anything about "fluff BS stuff like what color, options, look the best or who gives a better car wash blah blah blah blah...... Oh yeah, only you did, but why you did, I have no clue.

This whole thread concerns the SBC system pressurizing and causing a vibration through the brake pedal. Indus already stated in his second post that it doesn't feel like a warped rotor vibration but like something is being recharged. You're the one that went off and gave misleading info about warped rotors blah blah blah blah.... so it's you who has a misunderstanding.

Last edited by Petmerctech; 12-25-2003 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-25-2003, 08:49 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 E350 Sport
Karl, while there is a lot of "fulff" on these forums, I think this particular forum is for "latest technical info", and I found your information, as well as Petmerctech's, extremely useful, though in my case the problem Petmerctech is describing is the pertinent one. I am not really sure what set you off in this particular case, but I, for one, would like you to continue to offer your technical expertise.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:52 AM

Indus,

There are a lot of fixes for SBC noises and vibration.
Does your car already have the modified hoses?
Old 12-26-2003, 04:55 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 E350 Sport
Patrick - i am not sure what hose modification you are reffering to, but I'm pretty sure what I am experiencing is SBC system pressurizing that Petmerctech was describing. Refer to earlier in the thread for the info.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: brake pedal vibration on w211