Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W209 Xenon Headlight Problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 11:53 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK500
W209 Xenon Headlight Problem

My right front low beam has been malfunctioning on an intermittent basis (approximately 10% of the time). When the problem occurs (on a cold start) the lamp will not turn on. Sometimes, after 10 minutes of driving, I'll turn the lights off, then back on and the lamp will turn on. I took it to the dealer for service the first time that I noticed the problem, however, when the dealer turned on my lights the lamp went on (of course, isn't that the way it always works!!).

Before I go to the dealer again, I'd like to be armed with some knowledge as to what could be going wrong so that I can avoid the unpleasant situation of having the dealer tell me there's nothing wrong. Any thoughts?
Old 12-29-2003, 07:56 PM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Its been discussed before as far as I remember but I'm too lazy to the forum. Good luck.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The ignition unit should be replaced, but for the moment this is not available separately. Your dealer should replace the entire headlight unit.
MB will make the part available soon as well as an adapter cable set which will make it possible to replace the ignition module sepatrately.
Cars built later dan july 2003 should not have that problem.