Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery tester / test

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 963 Likes on 747 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Battery tester / test

Mercedes flexible services call for periodically checking the battery(ies) in the car. The MB-preferred is over $1100. An alternative is a Solar BA-5 battery tester for ~$50. I purchased one and have used it on multiple batteries in and out of my cars.

On the '05 W211 this evening, the auxiliary battery, rated at 170 amps (DIN) tested at 134 amps with a "Fail" indicator. The systems battery, rated at 520 amps, tested at 382 amps with a "recharge" indicator.

The auxiliary was replaced in 2010 according to records and the system battery appears to be the original from the factory; nothing in the maintenance records indicating replacement.

So...I would recommend this battery tester so you can decide when you want to replace batteries on your timeline and not on the battery's timeline (usually right after you just flipped the bird at some Hell's Angels and then run out to your car to start it and drive away. Or not.).

FWIW.
Attached Thumbnails Battery tester / test-aux-battery-test-20141115a.jpg  

Last edited by bbirdwell; 11-15-2014 at 09:46 PM.